Pendulous crop

Yikes about not massaging the sour crop. Ok
Do you provide grit for your chickens? (crushed granite)

Eating sand, she likely was trying to find grit. Anyway, hopefully the molasses flush will help. I'd leave the molasses water for her to finish up before she drinks the plain water. This might help if there's a blockage.

A stinky, thick paste coming up, her crop is sour, so I would begin treating that with a yeast medication. Don't massage a sour crop.

Th

thats what started this whole thing. She ate a whole bowl full of grit. It was right after day after day of over 100 degree weather.
Oh, I forgot about that! :(

I'd just keep working on her and see how it goes.
If it's not emptying and she ate that much grit, she may be blocked.
Surgery may be an option, but it's risky of course. Some have had a lot of success, while others still lost their bird.

Thankfully, I've never had to perform crop surgery, but @azygous has some good instructions if you are interested.

Oh, I forgot about that! :(

I'd just keep working on her and see how it goes.
If it's not emptying and she ate that much grit, she may be blocked.
Surgery may be an option, but it's risky of course. Some have had a lot of success, while others still lost their bird.

Thankfully, I've never had to perform crop surgery, but @azygous has some good instructions if you are interested.
Im not brave enough to try perform amature surgery. id probably just cause her more distress, then she hates me becomes an angry chicken ghost and then haunts me after. strapped for cash at the moment even for over the counter yeast meds. Lucky i have some black walnut extract on hand. Its a known remedy for fungal infections, healing gut flora and removing parasites. I will have to add some honey or mollasses to make it more drinkablE. Its so bitter tasting even with a drop.

Im not brave enough to try perform amature surgery. id probably just cause her more distress, then she hates me becomes an angry chicken ghost and then haunts me after. strapped for cash at the moment even for over the counter yeast meds. Lucky i have some black walnut extract on hand. Its a known remedy for fungal infections, healing gut flora and removing parasites. I will have to add some honey or mollasses to make it more drinkablE. Its so bitter tasting even with a drop.
Keep me posted on how it goes.

the exact same thing is happening to me with my 14 week old Squeak. I just got miconazole cream for it and gave her a small amount. I will crate her tonight to monitor poops. Hope your girl is okay too!

the exact same thing is happening to me with my 14 week old Squeak. I just got miconazole cream for it and gave her a small amount. I will crate her tonight to monitor poops. Hope your girl is okay too!
that's interesting she is close in age. I wonder if eating problems arise because that's when they seem to grow very fast? They are extra hungry and are bigger so more room for food? I hope yours pulls through also

that's interesting she is close in age. I wonder if eating problems arise because that's when they seem to grow very fast? They are extra hungry and are bigger so more room for food? I hope yours pulls through also
thanks. and I think yo might be right. they just kind of eat eat eat all day! she's also a speckled sussex. I hope it's not a chronic thing. fingers crossed our gals are ok

she is doing better today. no more sour smell, not puking, looks less bloated. No more yellow muck. her crop is smaller although hangs down. now that she got all the gross stuff out ive been massaging her crop. she is still full of rocks, so i gave her oil and she is finally pooping out so much rocks/grit. I have to clean up after her constantly to keep her from going back to eat it though 🤢. i think she might just turn out ok.

This happened to my pullet at a similar age. She's still alive, with a constant pendulous crop that never completely empties. She still eats and drinks and such.
Hope your girl recovers fully.

This happened to my pullet at a similar age. She's still alive, with a constant pendulous crop that never completely empties. She still eats and drinks and such.
Hope your girl recovers fully.
this is good to know that yours lived a normal life. I don't know what to do with my gal. it's pendulous, less stinky but still a little (one more day of yeast cream) and the nearest vet that would see her is over an hour away :(

Back
Top Bottom