Penguin seems sick

Pics
Well she didn't eat all day, was just getting ready to give her a tube meal before bed but then I saw her hovering over the food bowl and picking up pieces then dropping them. I decided to go grab the bag of mealworms and she immediately started nomming them down. I mixed a bunch of them in with their food. Glad she is eating, definitely will move them out of my house and into the coop tomorrow
I'm so excited to see this and love that they're both eating and getting back to being their ducky selves. It makes my heart happy 🤗🥰

Anyone happen to know where to get this stuff that isn't the vet? Picture is attached it is what I've been tube feeding penguin. When I google it I can easily find the herbivore and carnivore variants but not the omnivore like this one. It's suuppper expensive from the vet
Unfortunately, in my experience you can only buy it from a vet unless you are a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. While you can use Kaytee baby bird food the critical care is higher calorie and easier to push down the syringe and tube. They claim it is easy to digest and optimal for convalescing animals.... who knows?

At one point I was spending $70 on the stuff every 3 days... so I know how expensive it is. My vet ran out and told me I could mix the carnivore and herbivore half and half. Maybe this will help you at some point if you need to tube feed more.

I'm thrilled that Penguin is feeling better.

I moved them out to the coop. Still gonna keep them separated from the other ducks for the next few days while they finish up their medicine. Making sure to check on them frequently. Gotta be extra careful of the heat nowadays. I just heard from my mom that she came home to two dead chickens in her coop a few days ago and they just died from the heat. Weren't locked I the coop or anything they just sat in there until they died.

I moved them out to the coop. Still gonna keep them separated from the other ducks for the next few days while they finish up their medicine. Making sure to check on them frequently. Gotta be extra careful of the heat nowadays. I just heard from my mom that she came home to two dead chickens in her coop a few days ago and they just died from the heat. Weren't locked I the coop or anything they just sat in there until they died.
I am so sorry to hear about your mom's chickens. The heat can be hard on all animals. Hopefully your girls will do better.

I saw someone set up a cooling station for their birds. They froze water bottles and set them out for their chickens. It may worth trying something like that.

I am so sorry to hear about your mom's chickens. The heat can be hard on all animals. Hopefully your girls will do better.

I saw someone set up a cooling station for their birds. They froze water bottles and set them out for their chickens. It may worth trying something like that.
Yeah I'm not super worried about it immediately because my coop has a lot more ventilation than my moms did, but I might do that anyway definitely couldn't hurt losing them to heat is such a scary thought.

I lost one of my Orpingtons last week that way. In the coop, keeled over. :(

Hope the heat breaks for all you folks suffering through it. We got storms that rolled through on Sunday and Monday and flooded everything, but got rid of the heat. Now I'm tempted to put the furnace on at night!

Is Penguin still eating well today?
Haven't seen her eat but she's been outside I just keep checking them. I decided to let penguin and Puffin out of my big coop, im just gonna let puffin be with the other ducks but I've got Penguin in the smaller coop with run so she can still see her sisters, gave her a nice big bowl of water and I weighed the food before putting it in with her so I will be able to tell how much she ate later.

Attachments

• 20220810_180711.jpg
    20220810_180711.jpg
    961.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom