Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture agent @ local farmers market...

Under the radar.............
hide.gif

Quote:
You can say that since you haven't gotten food poisoning or e coli from contaminated food. If you had, you'd be yelling for more regulation. It all depends on whose ox is being gored. There are always two sides to every regulation.

I prefer freedom over a little more security, thank you very much.

I love it how you seem to presume I haven't had E Coli or food poisoning?!
roll.png

I for one have enough common sense where I don't need a nanny state telling me how to wipe my butt, wash my hands or cook my food!

I'll take my risk with E Coli and food poisoning over an overbearing government ANY DAY!

Maybe we should outlaw swimming in UNREGULATED lakes and ponds because that can give you E Coli too?!
While were at it we can just let the government grow all the food because they do know whats best for us don't they? Just like in Rome and the USSR? That ended up SOOO well now didn't it?

Big Business pays Government for regulations to keep small business competition out of the market...Same old story different day. It costs 150,000 to get your taxi liscense in NY now...nuff said!

Last edited:
Quote:
You can say that since you haven't gotten food poisoning or e coli from contaminated food. If you had, you'd be yelling for more regulation. It all depends on whose ox is being gored. There are always two sides to every regulation.

roll.png

I for one have enough common sense where I don't need a nanny state telling me how to wipe my butt, wash my hands or cook my food!

I'll take my risk with E Coli and food poisoning over an overbearing government ANY DAY!

Maybe we should outlaw swimming in UNREGULATED lakes and ponds because that can give you E Coli too?!
While were at it we can just let the government grow all the food because they do know whats best for us don't they? Just like in Rome and the USSR? That ended up SOOO well now didn't it?

Big Business pays Government for regulations to keep small business competition out of the market...Same old story different day. It costs 150,000 to get your taxi liscense in NY now...nuff said!

From what I can see they actually cost around 600k. That's a license to operate a Taxi company. Taxi driver is 15.00 to take the test. Lot's of money to be made in that business if you own the business. I wish the Gov would tell me the best way to wipe my butt though. Do you do that before or after you wash your hands?

Sorry. I for one am happy the gov regulates a lot of food items. I know how unscrupulous people can be. I don't buy the old market controlling it's own theory. Too many people have proven that it's a stupid theory. Look at Bernie Madhoff. Guess he wasn't too worried about his reputation or going out of business because he was a crook. Big business pays government to deregulate so they can do whatever they want. Look at all the people around you that are unemployed. That's what deregulation does.

Quote:
Whenever money is made through sales in a public venue a sales tax must be paid. City, county and state. So you have to collect sales tax and pay it quarterly to the different taxing authorities. You are actually running a business. That means you have to have a tax license. The farmers market operator charges a booth fee and usually takes 10% of your gross sales for the day.

You can make good money selling eggs. People expect to pay more for fresh eggs and most people that shop at the farmers market are in to the healthy fresh food thing. It is a big hassle though. You gotta show up an hour early. Usually there is someone blocking the traffic lane unloading their stuff. Set up your tent and all your stuff. Then reverse it all at the end of the day. We did it for one season selling some other stuff. I won't ever do it again.

On top of all that you have to file a business tax form for fed taxes. Pain in the rear.

Quote:
http://www.ncnewsonline.com/topstories/x357073463/Farmers-market-vendors-surprised-by-rule-change

Wonder if this is part of the s510 Bill.
Just another case of Big Business & Agriculture trying to bring the local farmers down.
Soon they want to own the seeds you sow.
People better start standing up for their rights.*

Just say'in.

Leave it to new castle officials to mess it up again. I'm sure it's a way to keep the small business owners away competition away from the big business groceries ect.

Judging by what they are regulating, it seems to me that they are attempting to cut-down on Food-borne disease.

The rules do not pertain to growers who sell only whole produce from their farms. Rather,
they are geared toward sellers of eggs, dairy products, meats or any processed,
packaged or prepared food items or any produce that has been cut for sale or sampling, such as melon.

I think that is a reasonable assumption.

But, whether their intentions actually do any good would be hard to determine.

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Quote:

roll.png

From what I can see they actually cost around 600k. That's a license to operate a Taxi company. Taxi driver is 15.00 to take the test. Lot's of money to be made in that business if you own the business. I wish the Gov would tell me the best way to wipe my butt though. Do you do that before or after you wash your hands?

Sorry. I for one am happy the gov regulates a lot of food items. I know how unscrupulous people can be. I don't buy the old market controlling it's own theory. Too many people have proven that it's a stupid theory. Look at Bernie Madhoff. Guess he wasn't too worried about his reputation or going out of business because he was a crook. Big business pays government to deregulate so they can do whatever they want. Look at all the people around you that are unemployed. That's what deregulation does.

Are you kidding me? You don't think big business is in bed with the Government? lmao Take a read... http://www.cato.org/research/articles/cpr28n4-1.html
Thats
the CATO insitute for reference. Bernie Madhoff was a bad guy..yea there are some greedy people out there but did the Governments regulation really help in stopping him? No, absolutely not! Nor will more regulation prevent anything like that from happening again. So, blaming free market capitalism for that is ignorant. Deregulation frees up things so the regular guy can be an entrepeneur without a ton of red tape to go through and pay for. I know all this firsthand because I started up my small business 10 years ago. Trust me, we don't need more tax regs or any other regs....all they do is strangle small business owners like me.

Last edited:
Just beware people. The raids on raw milk providers, the scoping out farmer's markets...it's just going to get worse. While it is all being done in the name of safety, the truth is this is about control of the food supply which makes it very easy to control the people.

Back
Top Bottom