Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    OUT of 5 Ancona Duck eggs set Dec 4th.... 4 are pipping away nicely and one pipped the small end and I took her out when I seen it, and freed her sweet beak. BUT I figured I could open the bator since the others are pipping soundly..... But I think she got too much fluid and her beak area is sticky gooey. I am not giving up hope yet, but I sure dont think she is gonna make it poor thing.... her beak looks all yellow and cute too!

I had 5, YES 5 thermometers and calibrated that incubator..... All my eggs hatch 2 days early....

THOUGHTS on the FAN??? I think maybe its the fan that makes them hatch too soon, IS THIS POSSIBLE?? The computer fan really blows that air in there.
    I just CANT figure it out.. But I shouldnt complain, I have all 5 duckies, well at least I do for now... poor weeee ducky

2. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Moved the bator from my GF's house to mine

3. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Sorry to hear about the one pipping the small end... not giving up hope yet.

Sally, when it is noticed that a chick has pipped the 'wrong' end... can you tip the egg so the 'skinny' end is up at that point to reduce the fluid pressures around the beak area? since they aren't pipped through the existing air sac anyway I would think it would be better to have the fluid away from their airway? Is there a guideline for assist here? Drying the beak even while the little one is still in the shell to remove fluids from the nostrils and allow clear air exchange? (maybe using an eyedropper like a bulb syringe to suck out aspirated fluids?)

4. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

about the fan... my only thought would be is that either the noise or vibration of the fan is somehow affecting the egg? If there is not a physical change in either the temp or humidity of the incubator then noise/vibration is the only other thing I would think could be different with a fan blowing. If it really seems to be a problem the vibration may be reduced with the addition of padded tape between the fan frame and the incubator wall. To reduce noise would require some way of seperating the fan from the incubator physically and create a 'tunnel' between the two for the air to travel in.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  5. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    OMG, I love it!!!

8. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Do you think your birdies have worms? I you are not sure, I wouldn't do anything. You can always take a fecal to the vet, usually around $15.00 to check it, or you can do a check yourself, sometimes you can see them. I try not to over medicate. You can't use the eggs after treatment. The amount of time depends on which dewormer you use.

9. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    [​IMG]

Heather....think this is Ollie spawn

10. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    What a cutie!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by