Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Okay, here is a "real-Newb" question...What is the purpose of the leg- feathers on some of these chickens? I see alot of you are really "into" these types/breeds and was just wondering. Is it "elements"-protection or purely cosmetic..both? I am not sure I am a "true " fan of these types
hide.gif
,..I know I'm risking being forever ignored, but I keep thinking of the "stuff" that can get attached to those feathers..
sickbyc.gif

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I do know people who prefer to keep non-feathered legged birds because of the same concerns. I bought marans & was given a pair of mille fleurs, & they had leg mites. Their legs still look awful. I believe the feathering is a desirable trait for certain standards, if you're into showing. You can keep marans for example without feathering & still get your dark eggs. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in with much more info than I have.

No one will ignore you :) No snobs on this thread. I have chicken snobs in my life & I ignore it & just enjoy my goofy flock. I hope you do the same and keep what you like :)

Last edited:
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I do know people who prefer to keep non-feathered legged birds because of the same concerns. I bought marans & was given a pair of mille fleurs, & they had leg mites. Their legs still look awful. I believe the feathering is a desirable trait for certain standards, if you're into showing. You can keep marans for example without feathering & still get your dark eggs. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in with much more info than I have.
No one will ignore you
smile.png
No snobs on this thread. I have chicken snobs in my life & I ignore it & just enjoy my goofy flock. I hope you do the same and keep what you like
smile.png
Thanks guys!..I do think they are "neat"- the leg feathered ones, but I do prefer the types I have listed,at this point -it is all theory to me....anyway, was just trying to understand the different types better..I "creep" at alot of other threads & I still feel more "comfortable" asking questions here -maybe it's cause I have met some of you- IDK...
bow.gif
you all are just as, if not more knowledgeable than the rest.
big_smile.png

Okay, here is a "real-Newb" question...What is the purpose of the leg- feathers on some of these chickens? I see alot of you are really "into" these types/breeds and was just wondering. Is it "elements"-protection or purely cosmetic..both? I am not sure I am a "true " fan of these types
hide.gif
,..I know I'm risking being forever ignored, but I keep thinking of the "stuff" that can get attached to those feathers..
sickbyc.gif
Hey Lil Miss!! when you figure that out, can you explain the whole "why women have to shave deal?"
gig.gif

Anyone see the hubcap Christmas tree in Pinegrove????? I said to DH "only in Pinegrove!!!" its was pretty cool and he wouldnt turn around so I could take a pic!!!

Back
Top Bottom