Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Ok Wing and Fisher, what do I need to know?? Someone was selling 2000 for $30 and I thought I might give it a try. Are they really stinky??
mama... and I see Purdy asked also...

What we did was buy 2 cheap totes at Dollar General, they are plastic, about 6 inches deep and probably hold 3 or 4 gallons? can't remember their exact size. Whatever tote/container you get needs to have a securely fitting lid.

In middle of lid we cut a 4x4 or so hole and covered it with tight woven mesh like screen door mesh material, very tight weave is needed because the worms attempt to escape and they can fit through tiny holes.
We filled them about 1/3 full of a mix oat and wheat bran. Then crumple up 3 or 4 pieces of newspaper and place on top of bran. Take one apple and cut it up into about 8 slices and lay them in on bran also. We then take a small shallow bowl and put about a half cup of water in it and seat it down into bran in center of the tub, ball up a paper towel, wet it lightly in sink and set it on the bowl (it helps distribute the moisture better this way)
Go to a local bait store and get 2 little tubs of meal worms, they usually sell them about 12-20 or so in a small plastic container. I got one container for each tub.
place the meal worm 'starters' into your tub and place lid on tightly.
Set tub somewhere that it stays around 70-75 and not in direct sunlight and let it sit, check it every 5-7 days and replace apple slices as they dry out or mold and refill the water dish and rewet the paper towel.
It may take 6 wks or so to see something really start to happen. I was sure I had messed it up but finally the little buggers started to really take off... you will see beetles (some black, sometimes brown) and worms with a bit of a funny shape to them (one of the stages of their development) and sometimes extremely TINY meal worms that you can't actually even see, you just realize the bran is moving and it's the tiny little things moving around that makes it look that way.
I cull beetles and mature meal worms about once every week or 10 days, I stash them in the fridge or give them direct to the birds.
Change out the bran when it gets clumpy and smells musty , but sift it very well or you will throw out thousands of 'baby' mill worms.
Here is a web site that I found after we started our own project...
There is no 'this is the only way to do it' type of thing. Containers and fruit choices vary greatly, as do some of the base materials folks use, but meal worms don't seem very fussy as long as you keep them warm and moist...
http://www.sialis.org/raisingmealworms.htm

Good luck! It is a pretty neat project to do, and nice to able to grab some to treat the chickens any time we want.

Had a good time meeting up with Pentamom and Blarney & crew at the FS today! The crowds were UNREAL! Wish I could go back on a weekeday and spend some more time browsing displays. @ Brahma fans, champion asiatic was a dark brahma at the FS. My daughter-in-law came to the FS to look at all the breeds. She has decided to join the madness and start with a few hens. She liked the buff colored americauna. Anyone on here raise them? Looking for eggs or chicks.

I know people who raise them! Let me know when they are ready and I can give you the contact info!

mama... and I see Purdy asked also...

What we did was buy 2 cheap totes at Dollar General, they are plastic, about 6 inches deep and probably hold 3 or 4 gallons? can't remember their exact size. Whatever tote/container you get needs to have a securely fitting lid.

In middle of lid we cut a 4x4 or so hole and covered it with tight woven mesh like screen door mesh material, very tight weave is needed because the worms attempt to escape and they can fit through tiny holes.
We filled them about 1/3 full of a mix oat and wheat bran. Then crumple up 3 or 4 pieces of newspaper and place on top of bran. Take one apple and cut it up into about 8 slices and lay them in on bran also. We then take a small shallow bowl and put about a half cup of water in it and seat it down into bran in center of the tub, ball up a paper towel, wet it lightly in sink and set it on the bowl (it helps distribute the moisture better this way)
Go to a local bait store and get 2 little tubs of meal worms, they usually sell them about 12-20 or so in a small plastic container. I got one container for each tub.
place the meal worm 'starters' into your tub and place lid on tightly.
Set tub somewhere that it stays around 70-75 and not in direct sunlight and let it sit, check it every 5-7 days and replace apple slices as they dry out or mold and refill the water dish and rewet the paper towel.
It may take 6 wks or so to see something really start to happen. I was sure I had messed it up but finally the little buggers started to really take off... you will see beetles (some black, sometimes brown) and worms with a bit of a funny shape to them (one of the stages of their development) and sometimes extremely TINY meal worms that you can't actually even see, you just realize the bran is moving and it's the tiny little things moving around that makes it look that way.
I cull beetles and mature meal worms about once every week or 10 days, I stash them in the fridge or give them direct to the birds.
Change out the bran when it gets clumpy and smells musty , but sift it very well or you will throw out thousands of 'baby' mill worms.
Here is a web site that I found after we started our own project...
There is no 'this is the only way to do it' type of thing. Containers and fruit choices vary greatly, as do some of the base materials folks use, but meal worms don't seem very fussy as long as you keep them warm and moist...
http://www.sialis.org/raisingmealworms.htm

Good luck! It is a pretty neat project to do, and nice to able to grab some to treat the chickens any time we want.
Thank you...very good info!!,
big_smile.png
, I don't think I've ever "read" that a water cup goes into the "bedding",that's new!.. but hey- what do I know?! everyone does it their own way...It's all just theory to me yet...soon..very soon..I will have chickens!! !whaahahaha
wee.gif

I am going to call a guy named Mark Zerosky. He is a breeder near me/us. I spoke with him last May. I remember he had quite a few breeds. I keep meaning to call him. Should I keep you posted?
If you find someone, I am interested in a couple too.

I am going to call a guy named Mark Zerosky. He is a breeder near me/us. I spoke with him last May. I remember he had quite a few breeds. I keep meaning to call him. Should I keep you posted?
If you find someone, I am interested in a couple too.
hide.gif
If you are talking to me..haha..Sounds great!! & I will keep you posted too, looking,looking. Thank you M-chick.

Does anyone know of a nice breeder of LF Buff orps? Preferably in the north-central PA area...but I will be willing to drive abit to see them. I will be down here in Lancaster co. from time to time also. Thank you
big_smile.png

I might know a guy that has them too, I just don't know if he has anything available right now. Then there is one of the best breeders in the country, http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/bufforpington.htm

Back
Top Bottom