Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Thanks folks!
And while the little swedies are running around my bedroom---yes, their pack n go is in my bedroom. (There was no other place to put it where I could keep out the cats. LOL)--- anyway, while they're scurrying about, I sift through the litter, which is about 3 inches of smaller pine shavings mixed with shredded paper (like confetti) from the office. Cleaning out the poo helps keep the coop like aroma to a minimum. It's working out pretty good so far. But it might be a L O N G winter, depending on how fast they grow. The plan is to keep them in the house til Spring, when I can move them out into my brand new chicken tractor---an early Christmas present from my daughter and SIL. She could never keep a Christmas secret....EVER!
love.gif

106808_avataress.jpg

Quote:
Hi mrcman!
Welcome to BYC. This is a great place.
wee.gif
So much to learn and share. Great, helpful knowledgeable people
ya.gif

with a good sense of humor!
big_smile.png
So many different forums to explore.
caf.gif
Pictures? We love pics of birds and coops!
What kind of poultry do you have?
D.gif
What are your plans for them? Do share, we all learn so much from each other.
thumbsup.gif

Merry Christmas!
frow.gif

Karen in Ligonier

Last edited:
Quote:
What lovely birds! Huge congrats on your new poultry. I read not to use febreeze around birds. apparently it's bad for them and has killed parakeets living in homes which used it.

I haven't looked at your set up. One thing you could do is raise the chicks on hardware cloth.
smile.png
It keeps their toes from growing crooked because they don't curl their toes underneath them when they sleep, like they do if they are raised on a slick surface like plain flat newpaper. Up to 2 weeks old, use 1/4 hardware cloth flooring. Over 2 weeks old, use 1/2 inch hardware cloth for the flooring platform.
The platform was raised so the hardwarecloth floor was 1 or 2 inches above the shavings/Equine Fresh beneath it. . Then I slid a shallow plastic bin underneath filled with pine shavings to catch the poop. If I had to do it over again, I would use Equine Fresh pellets in the tub. It's a horse product used to freshen and put down odors in horse stalls. Formed sawdust pellets which absorb moisture and are laced with chorophyll to absorb odor. When the pellets get wet, they swell and turn to fresh-smelling , damp sawdust.
How well does Equine Fresh work? Years ago, I had a mixed flock in an outside run. The run was uncovered and the birds had dug a nice dusting hole. It rained and the hole filled up. Whew! So nasty smelling.
somad.gif
What to do?
hu.gif
I went to Tractor Supply and discovered Equine Fresh. Bought a 50 lb bag for about 6.00. Brought it home and dumped the whole thing in the hole. It was amazing.
wee.gif
The smell was gone in 2 minutes. The pellets welled up and disolved, leaving me with a sweet-smelling level sawdust.
ya.gif
They birds didn't try and eat it either. Tho I would keep it from little chicks who might not know better.
smile.png
I have not put the Equine fresh in it's pellet form where any birds could reach it because I wasn't sure if they would try and eat it.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is permissible on this thread, but I wanted to reach out to my local BYC neighbors...
and I apologize if this post doesn't belong in this thread...

I need to re home Ginger, my 6 month old Old English Game Bantam Rooster. I was hoping he would work out with the original flock.
hit.gif
He is very sweet to me and will eat from my hand, especially if it's bread I'm offering. He is nice to 5 of the hens in the flock, but is a bully to the rest of them, meaning that he chases them away from the feeding bowls and their favorite sleeping spots.
barnie.gif

The BIL just added 2 young EEs to the coop and they stay hidden under the armoire, until I let Ginger and the others go out for some fresh air. Since the onset of shorter daylight hours and the fact that I don't get home to let them out until 4:30 each day, this allows little time for the wee ones to stretch their little legs.
hide.gif

If anyone in the Pittsburgh area knows of somebody who may be interested and would have room for this handsome fellow, could you let me know, please?
I do believe Ginger would do well with a smaller group of hens. He is very good with his 'favorite five'.

Thanks,

Theresa

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh how sad!!!
sad.png
I don't know anyone off hand but I'll keep my ear to the ground.

I've raised all my chicks on paper towels, newspaper and wood chips without foot issue. If their toes were gonna curl, wouldn't they do it regardless of surface?
hu.gif
I haven't raised that many so my knowlege is limited. I try not to overthink some things and figure if they hatch looking normal...they pretty much stay that way. I do put a roost in the brooder early just in case anyone figures to climb early!

Back
Top Bottom