Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Not this year. [​IMG] DS is completely bummed. But I will keep my ear to the ground for you. Where in PA?

I finished my FREE brooder, made from the box DD#3's trampoline came in, unfortunately the pic won't load. I did invest in an Ecoglow from Brinsea. The jury is still out on the handiness of this contraption. So far, they are quiet at night as it is dark, and the chicks can better control how warm or cold they'd like to be as it is very easy to escape the warmth. They took a little while to figure out where to go, and they DO poop on top.

I took a bunch of MF Cochin pics, but can not upload, these chicks are so stinking cute!!

2. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop

3. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Oh I can't wait to see those photos!!!!

Let me know your final thoughts on the Ecoglow. I have heard such mixed things about it.

4. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop

5. bower007

bower007 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    Eastern PA
    I bought chicks from My Pet Chicken last year; all chicks were healthy and we had no issues with our order. If I had one complaint, I think the shipping cost is too much; you pay more for shipping than you do the chicks themselves. I was at the PA Farm Show last week and I met a representative for Myers Poulty; they have the same breeds, they are PA based and their shipping she quoted me was about 50-60% cheaper than My Pet Chicken. Maybe use the My Pet Chicken to find breeds that fit your needs, then give Myers a look for the purchase. Just my $.02. Pretty much what mama just told you too.

6. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Our 4H is taking a field trip to JM Hatchery They are north of Lancaster.

They have Freedom Rangers, ducklings and more. Here is their website:

http://www.jmhatchery.com/

7. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    What are Freedom Rangers?

edit: oh I see! They are broilers.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  8. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    can you pick up my order while your there, let me know what they are like, be nice to know the standards of the place my chicks come from....they have 2 different branches though, the chicks i get come from the denver area.

9. chickencowranch

chickencowranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Mt Wolf, Pa
    My Coop
    Wait til they start laying eggs. The eggs get bigger. Makes me wonder if it hurts coming out.

10. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    I am in Northern NJ and I keep up with this thread since many of you are closer to me than my NJ thread peeps... Just saying hi! and thought I would respond to a couple...
    In my opinion sheep's milk is milder in flavor than goat's milk. It has a better nutritional profile than cow or goat, and has a higher percentage of solids than cow so you can make more cheese per gallon. The cheese is outstanding.
    They don't kill the poultry (except for the meat classes). It is really important to quaratine any birds returning from a show though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by