Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Here's my coop, they only sleep in it and free range in the day so there in and out all day long

Love the coop, especially the bucket boxes! I have ours designed to have the nest boxes available from the outside also, but ran out of good construction weather in the fall, so they are just in the coop for now, not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to just grab the eggs from outside.

Our nesting boxes... made with scrap wood and plywood.
And yes, that's a silly rooster in the top right... he was cooing and purring and trying his darndest to get a hen to check out the great spot he had found!
gig.gif

Love the coop, especially the bucket boxes! I have ours designed to have the nest boxes available from the outside also, but ran out of good construction weather in the fall, so they are just in the coop for now, not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to just grab the eggs from outside.
Same here, this spring I will drill out 5 inch Holes all the way into the back of the buckets and gather the eggs from out side, right now Im using a spaghetti spoon to grab the eggs all the way in the back of the buckets
bow.gif
, My husband and I repurposed this wood 3X it was my mother inlaws old deck...made a small back porch....then made a kids play house then drug it back up the hill and Waaaalaaa a chicken coop was born
celebrate.gif

Our nesting boxes... made with scrap wood and plywood.
And yes, that's a silly rooster in the top right... he was cooing and purring and trying his darndest to get a hen to check out the great spot he had found!
gig.gif
See u have lots of room for the larger hens, my brahma can hardly turn around in those buckets, Hmmmm maybe put dividers in mine so they have more room.

Same here, this spring I will drill out 5 inch Holes all the way into the back of the buckets and gather the eggs from out side, right now Im using a spaghetti spoon to grab the eggs all the way in the back of the buckets
bow.gif
, My husband and I repurposed this wood 3X it was my mother inlaws old deck...made a small back porch....then made a kids play house then drug it back up the hill and Waaaalaaa a chicken coop was born
celebrate.gif
That is so cool!! It must have been an adorable playhouse too!
I have recovered many a deck board... They are awesome for building projects!

Only Chad !!! good one ! how many OJ's tonight ????? and, where's mine, I have off tomorrow.

Without a doubt .....
Last night was very bad for me....Started with pear sake, than tequila shots and finished off with my OJ. Wow! I'm just really glad I didn't get on eBay or the BST thread
lau.gif
. I have practically a bator full now. Mostly from other BYC's with marans eggs

See I like FB better. Easier to follow the conversation over there for me because replies are posted directly under the original thread. To me here is is like reading a book alright... page 1, page 14, page 32, page 1 page 12.....
I agree but i keep coming back here too, gotta keep up on both sites now.. Now i get NOTHING done!!
I also wanted to say about the app, that it is very easy to use. You have to create your own menus, and values for the data base. I can help anyone who doesn't get it, it took me a couple of hours to figure everything out, I don't like to read directions!!!!

Need to look into this dont know if i need it now but it might come in hand..

Ok so i need my genetics people help. I have a really nice Black hen and was thinking about putting her in with my blue molted rooster. What would i get from their mix?? Would it be a good mix or not?? Just seeing who all i can move around now that i have both coops set up! Want to do the best breeding i can. Thanks guys!!

I agree but i keep coming back here too, gotta keep up on both sites now.. Now i get NOTHING done!!

Need to look into this dont know if i need it now but it might come in hand..

Ok so i need my genetics people help. I have a really nice Black hen and was thinking about putting her in with my blue molted rooster. What would i get from their mix?? Would it be a good mix or not?? Just seeing who all i can move around now that i have both coops set up! Want to do the best breeding i can. Thanks guys!!

I am not sure exactly what you will get. I have a horrible time with the chicken calculators. I think you need 2 copies of the mottled gene, its recessive. So any offspring should be 50/50. You would have to test breed back to the father to see if they are carrying the mottled gene or not. If getting the mottling gene is you goal! I like cross colors to get the type in, usually blacks because they are usually the one with the nicest type :)

Hi all! Stopping in to say hi and update. Heather-LOVE the apron idea! LOL!! I'd love to see that in person!
Also I'm going to trey out that livestock app. Thanks for finding it!

All is well here. Except we lost one of the Brahmas that Sally gave to me by a hawk. Ripped her head right off. :-( she was the one who likes to cuddle her head in my neck all the time. Sweet was my girl. :-/
So the SOB keeps coming back looking for scraps of her and I'm mad. So my neighbor offered to help me with my problem. LOL! Since I can't do it myself.
17 babies are in lockdown and due to hatch the 23rd, but if I know myself-some should hatch tomorrow-ish since some tend to hatch a day early. LOL!
So now I need to build a better run. Sally sent me a pic of what I should do-so we will be making it.
Lastly-I have decided I'm not a duck person. They are too much for my OCD and I've decided to give them to my neighbor who wants them badly. (Apparently there are a breed that has puffy heads). She is going to take them this week. I think I am just a chicken girl LOL! It's okay-ill still get to see them, and my neighbor has 10 acres and a nice creek/pond on her property so we can visit them whenever we want. (Now I get the best of both worlds). LOL!

a few pics to help explain what I meant by 'people area' in previous post.... this is during construction, looking in front door of coop... coop is 12' wide, door is mid wall, as you enter the first 40" or so are people area, and then there is a framework covered with chicken wire to create coop area, there are hanging frames to seperate the coop into a left and right side, the frames are removable to make it one large coop if the seperate quarters aren't needed. Left, hanging panels, right... coop doors during construction View from inside of coop area out to 'people area' , notice the pup inspecting the work... nothing was done without chicken and pup inspections... with a few cat scans thrown in! Mindy is standing in what I call the 'people area', used for storage and feed bins, and now will be available as private Gracie and babies space... visible to rest of flock but not at risk... the broody box shown in post above is now in the spot to the left side of this pic. sorry for hijacking the thread with a bunch of coop pics! :oops:
This is such an awesome set up!

Back
Top Bottom