Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Hey guys! Chatty tonight eh?

I don't work tomorrow!!!! WHOOP!

Anyway, tonight I finally made some Mac and Cheese my hubby likes. REALLY impressed with the recipe and it was SO filling! Seriously, in a hurry? Cook this puppy! Took me 15 minutes to make and I just sat back and enjoyed my movie while it baked!

And, thanks to mama2my4, I now have some more Silkie chicks! She let me have some as some buddies for my little Langshan chick that hatched out. Let's see how long I can keep these alive!

3. LittleMissPurdy

LittleMissPurdy Chillin' With My Peeps

UH, no I must have missed the "testes" thread..yeah....and the other dogs wouldn't dare say a word, this is Caesar....he is usually the instigator, then runs to mom[​IMG]
    Very interested in your broody-hen experiences, thinking, if I get to the point of hatching babies, would like to see how the real mommas do it...sounding just as nerve racking as the bator-hatching..well the waiting part anyway.

4. LittleMissPurdy

I don't know about the shells. Like you I have heard many different views on the whole soybean thing,to feed or not to..sorry-not much help[​IMG], from me

5. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

We are trying to let her do things without bothering her too much... we candled at 7 and 10 days, I'm not planning on messing with the eggs again, she is on day 15 now... we are expecting them Saturday or Sunday.
    We set up our coop to allow for a 'broody pen' inside. We built it to adjoin one of the regular pens, Gracie has an area of 30"x40" or so that is totally hers, there is room for her nest box and seperate food and water, then there is a doorway to a small area of the regular pen that is fenced off to keep bossy non broody hens from bothering her, they can see and hear each other, but they can't bother her on the nest. When she was in one of the community boxes a couple of the other hens bothered her all the time.
    There is a second door built into the broody pen that will allow her and the chicks to come out into the 'people area' of the coop, this will give her another 20 sq ft or so to exercise and scratch and learn chicken stuff without interference from the big chickens, but they will be seen and heard by the rest of the flock... We figure integration back into the flock will be based on the attitudes of the other birds. Outside time will be based on weather for the first few weeks.
    [​IMG]Community nest boxes on left, the blue looking hen is standing on the doorsill to the 'people area', the fenced off area allows Gracie her dusting area which she still uses daily, the frame structure in the corner makes up her broody box, if you notice the handle on the side it is because that whole side opens (like an antique car hood) to allow us to access the broody pen for any cleaning needed, it just folds up and out of the way.
    [​IMG]View of the side of her broody box from the 'people area' of the coop, the small wood door in the left bottom corner allows her access to the people area. The lower half of the broody box is 1/4" hardware cloth so little fuzzy butts can't get heads or toes caught in anything, the angled upper part of the double hinged door is the standard 1" chicken wire to allow nosey humans a better view of what is going on. Her nest box is visible in the corner. We drape towels over the side of it now in the evenings to allow her peace and quiet and prevent any drafts when the pop doors are open.

no problem! [​IMG] I wish it was a magic number though!! would be so much easier on us silly humans!

6. oletymer

oletymer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2012
    [​IMG]

7. LittleMissPurdy

[​IMG] That is a very nice set-up, great way to keep everyone in their places!...will be putting this one in the "keep" folder!

8. oletymer

oletymer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2012
    Did another painting for my mother inlaw, Her puppies Emmie and Carlie, ANd of course Sissy Flew her coop bin
    [​IMG]

and came and sat with me while I was painting, Then when I was done, and went out to check my emails she jumped up on the sofa and sat next to me...
    [​IMG]

.I have never seen a chicken do this, I know she misses her brothers....[​IMG]

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]saw chad today

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    OMG Look at they are friggen perfect!!! WOW Amazing job!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by