Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

and he paints toenails too
gig.gif
..you know..I can see him doing that...such a nice guy
wink.png

Question for all of you experienced hatchers.... days to hatch is 21.... I have heard that a thousand times.... but what I was hoping for clarification on is do you count the first day at all? I thought it was 21 full days, which to me would actually mean the following day.
Example, we gave eggs to Gracie on a Saturday, the 5th at about 5pm... 21 days by calendar would mean Saturday the 26th, but allowing for a 'full' day, I would expect hatch actually on Sunday afternoon??
Believe me, I hope I am wrong, because 21 days is seeming to take forever, but wanted to figure it out beforehand so I know when to start getting <more> nervous.

I would have to say 21 full days,,they may pip on day 21,,, many times even longer, this last round didn't start until day 23, and I believe heather had a similar experience with her last round. took 3 days to get all out after the first one also. Would think a broody would take longer this time of the year too,,, the colder temps have to affect them too,,,, Just my opionion !

Higher temps can lead to an early hatch as well,,,, but you shouldn't run into that with a broody,,, not this time of the year at least.

Miss Purdy....I bathe them before I put them in their PJs and after they brush their beaks lol

Only Chad !!! good one ! how many OJ's tonight ????? and, where's mine, I have off tomorrow.

gig.gif
..you know..I can see him doing that...such a nice guy
wink.png

Without a doubt .....

Last edited:
Miss Purdy....I bathe them before I put them in their PJs and after they brush their beaks lol
lau.gif
This is keeping me from getting my paperwork done!! you folks are a bad influence!
gig.gif

thanks, I've been reading some funny stuff, I think some have more time on their hands than they should..
smack.gif
, anyway, i didn't think that it was something done for regular-laying birds or yard birds...thought of the showing birds,know they need to clean. I was just curious if it was something "normal" to do...thanks again
big_smile.png
I have found WAY to much strange stuff... and danged if I still don't sit and go through 15 pages of it, just to see what else there is to it! Or if they have any pics? Anyone read the threads on testicles or see the contest threads on molting birds??? Geesh!
th.gif

here he is..haha, not at his most fluffy, but,yeah..my name is Danielle and I have a problem..
tongue.png
..next, chicken sweaters..maybe I can get Sally to knit me one..
OMG!!! So cute... but don't the other dogs make fun of him???
gig.gif

I would have to say 21 full days,,they may pip on day 21,,, many times even longer, this last round didn't start until day 23, and I believe heather had a similar experience with her last round. took 3 days to get all out after the first one also. Would think a broody would take longer this time of the year too,,, the colder temps have to affect them too,,,, Just my opionion !

Higher temps can lead to an early hatch as well,,,, but you shouldn't run into that with a broody,,, not this time of the year at least.
23 days!!!! Oh, please, I hope not! Just our luck, our first broody and she picks the winter to do it so we get to worry longer!

but more seriously... thanks for the info, it shouldn't be this nerve wracking to let them do all the work! I'm sure our next one will be better.
hu.gif

My wife got some edamame (soy beans) for a diet she is on. Can I feed the shells to my chickens? I know raw soy beans can be posinous to some animals, but these are cooked. Any input?

23 days!!!! Oh, please, I hope not! Just our luck, our first broody and she picks the winter to do it so we get to worry longer!

but more seriously... thanks for the info, it shouldn't be this nerve wracking to let them do all the work! I'm sure our next one will be better.
hu.gif

She's doing the work,, let nature take it's course. How long does she have to go ? You probably aren't going to see the chicks often, they will tend to hide under her alot with the colder temps,,,, not sure how you have things set up,,, but you may want to give some thought to their water / drinking situation if they are staying outdoors after hatch,,,, just something to ponder.

Good luck with them, I love broodies with peeps.

Back
Top Bottom