Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Sally, feel better!

2. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    OK, there was a fellow BYC member who had a contact about bulk feed purchase. Does anyone know who that is/was, or if it is you could you please PM me. I though it was Lilbrownie, am I right or wrong?

3. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Thanks! I found pics on the colors so I could figure out which were BAs and BRs... but what is it with the combs you are referring to? We were checking out wing feathers tonight for even vs uneven. And I thought on BRs the lighter ones tend to be the males? But we aren't too worried about knowing right away.

4. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Still no Farm Name. Crud. I didn't have this much trouble naming my children.

5. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Awww!!!! When I had just the 3 sebrights in the giant coop I would take a lawn chair in there....and just sit with them....but then I started to forget to bring it out...and they'd perch on it....and well...you know....so now no chair in the coop...plus with all the birds, roosts, waterers, feeders....way too crowded.
    You're right...I don't need whatever he's selling....but I'll let him come over and do his pitch.
    Burpee does a spring and fall tour of their Fordhook Farm . Fordhook Farm is the historical farm of the Burpee Company, which was founded in Philadelphia in 1876 by 18 year-old W. Atlee Burpee, who had a passion for plants and animals, according to the farm's website. Burpee designed the mail order catalog company from which farmers and recreational gardeners could purchase seeds. Burpee catalog's still exist today. A $5 entrance fee is required to visit Fordhook Farms, which is located at 105 New Britain Rd., near Delaware Valley College. I'm not sure when the tours will be this year..haven't gotten the emails yet, but when I do...I'll post.
    Ok, please explain how I do this, as both babies I hatched on the 4th are single comb.

6. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    So cute!! Just love babies!!

Hope you feel better today Sally!

7. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Feather sexing is not an exact science. You can tell for sure usually around 14 days the sex of the chicks. Yes BR males are lighter, but it takes longer then 2 weeks to fully feather. Pullets usually feather faster, but it also depends on the bloodline.

8. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Thanks!
    What differences are noted in the single combs between males and females?

9. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa

Yes it was me!

10. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    You will see a big difference in the combs, boys wattles also develop first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by