Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I need to vent about my muscovies. I swear they have a death wish.

All summer, they ignore the pond, and hang around the poultry pens. That is, except for one (Old Mama) When fall arrived, they followed her, and all started hanging around the pond. Soon they were spending the night there. There were 9 of them, 3 boys & 6 girls. The pond is near a wooded area that is an area wildlife follow across a valley that is mostly open fields, which means that the ducks are choosing to sleep in the area closest to any possible predators. You can see where this is going....

Some of them were coming back up to the poultry area most nights, and either sleeping in the pen with the Swedish ducks, or under the chicken trailer. I thought they had gotten the message that, as their friends went missing, that the pond was not a safe place to sleep. Or not. Last night, none were in the pens. This morning, I only saw 3 scovies - Old Mama, one of the white-headed girls, and another that I couldn't identify. They were at the edge of the pond which has only a small pool of open water. If - big IF - they are near the poultry area tonight, I can have one of the dogs herd them into a pen and keep them from free ranging in the future. If they insist on sleeping by the pond, they're probably doomed.

The other night, our neighbor whose fields are on the opposite side of the woods, was out hunting coyotes/foxes with a red light and recorded call. Stupid ducks!

2. chickencowranch

chickencowranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Mt Wolf, Pa
    My Coop
    Hello . I'm from York Counthy as well, the Mt. Wolf area.

Hello to all the other newbies.

3. motherhen71185

motherhen71185 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Southern York County, PA
    So excited, so i have to share! I follow Brinsea on Facebook and they offered some "demo" incubators at a lower price. First come First serve kinda thing. Brand new, just sitting out for people to look at, minor surface scratches. I got a Brinsea octagon 20 eco. SO EXCITED!!!!!!!! I hope to be able to join in on the easter hatch-along. I have never hatched eggs so.... fair warning. I will be asking all kinds of questions! :) Can't wait![​IMG]

4. Druidess

Druidess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Ours were hatched and shipped at the end of September, so they're four and a half months old. I know that they're old enough to start laying soon, but I don't know if they'll start now or if they'll be slightly late starters because of the cold and dark weather...I'm watching for eggs just in case.

5. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I don't have specific barred rock experience, but I almost always hatch in the fall so that I have girls starting to lay right about now. Yours should start any day now.

6. roseschickies

roseschickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    OH man!! I am not ready to start hatching, but that looks like a good price!! Ahhhhhh[​IMG]

No.. I am holding back... I have chicks coming in March... No!! Resisting... walking away from the computer now.....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] YAYA!! Thanks everyone for joining us!!! YAY!!!

We have a PA map SEE MY SIGGY!!

Post your zip and we can get ya added!!

Lovely Peggysue!!! [​IMG]Congrats!!
    SEE above in regards to a full map in my signature which we hope to fill up!!
    [​IMG] you know this is why I started to write EVERYTHING on my eggs, they look like a wall in the subway! he he he
    GREAT IDEA!!
    [​IMG]
    AMBASSADOR! Wow that sounds important! [​IMG] Just a few invites!! LOL

8. oletymer

oletymer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2012
    Sally Im 15323 Washington Co. please put me on the map....

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  10. oletymer

oletymer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2012
    Hi everyone, had a weird hatch with the barred rocks, EBAY EGGS<<<could this be the problem? anywho...I got 2 healthy ones and 2 iffies, those are the 2 that were hatched with the yoke sac outside there body, and curled toes on one foot, genetic? who know's but heres some pictures of my newbees and week old peeps too,
    [​IMG]
    My 2 Guys Posing

[​IMG]
    One of my ebay barred rocks (right)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    4 week old baby BUMPKIN offspring from my girl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by