Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I need to vent about my muscovies. I swear they have a death wish.

All summer, they ignore the pond, and hang around the poultry pens. That is, except for one (Old Mama) When fall arrived, they followed her, and all started hanging around the pond. Soon they were spending the night there. There were 9 of them, 3 boys & 6 girls. The pond is near a wooded area that is an area wildlife follow across a valley that is mostly open fields, which means that the ducks are choosing to sleep in the area closest to any possible predators. You can see where this is going....

Some of them were coming back up to the poultry area most nights, and either sleeping in the pen with the Swedish ducks, or under the chicken trailer. I thought they had gotten the message that, as their friends went missing, that the pond was not a safe place to sleep. Or not. Last night, none were in the pens. This morning, I only saw 3 scovies - Old Mama, one of the white-headed girls, and another that I couldn't identify. They were at the edge of the pond which has only a small pool of open water. If - big IF - they are near the poultry area tonight, I can have one of the dogs herd them into a pen and keep them from free ranging in the future. If they insist on sleeping by the pond, they're probably doomed.

The other night, our neighbor whose fields are on the opposite side of the woods, was out hunting coyotes/foxes with a red light and recorded call. Stupid ducks!

York County here!
:)
yippiechickie.gif

Hello . I'm from York Counthy as well, the Mt. Wolf area.

Hello to all the other newbies.

So excited, so i have to share! I follow Brinsea on Facebook and they offered some "demo" incubators at a lower price. First come First serve kinda thing. Brand new, just sitting out for people to look at, minor surface scratches. I got a Brinsea octagon 20 eco. SO EXCITED!!!!!!!! I hope to be able to join in on the easter hatch-along. I have never hatched eggs so.... fair warning. I will be asking all kinds of questions! :) Can't wait!
ya.gif

Welcome! We have just gotten 4 Barred Rock chicks hatched out by our broody hen... how old are yours?
Ours were hatched and shipped at the end of September, so they're four and a half months old. I know that they're old enough to start laying soon, but I don't know if they'll start now or if they'll be slightly late starters because of the cold and dark weather...I'm watching for eggs just in case.

Ours were hatched and shipped at the end of September, so they're four and a half months old. I know that they're old enough to start laying soon, but I don't know if they'll start now or if they'll be slightly late starters because of the cold and dark weather...I'm watching for eggs just in case.

I don't have specific barred rock experience, but I almost always hatch in the fall so that I have girls starting to lay right about now. Yours should start any day now.

So excited, so i have to share! I follow Brinsea on Facebook and they offered some "demo" incubators at a lower price. First come First serve kinda thing. Brand new, just sitting out for people to look at, minor surface scratches. I got a Brinsea octagon 20 eco. SO EXCITED!!!!!!!! I hope to be able to join in on the easter hatch-along. I have never hatched eggs so.... fair warning. I will be asking all kinds of questions! :) Can't wait!
ya.gif
OH man!! I am not ready to start hatching, but that looks like a good price!! Ahhhhhh
hu.gif

No.. I am holding back... I have chicks coming in March... No!! Resisting... walking away from the computer now.....

Last edited:
frow.gif
YAYA!! Thanks everyone for joining us!!! YAY!!!

We have a PA map SEE MY SIGGY!!

Post your zip and we can get ya added!!

We are in southcentral PA~ Seven Valleys. Right now we have about 7 hens and 1 rooster~ all Easter Eggers :) LOTS of Muscovy ducks too. I haven't been on here for almost 2 years so maybe I can be more active again now.

Bethany Keeney

Hatched 26 hours ago!!! Just thought i'd leave these here lol

ya.gif

Lovely Peggysue!!!
love.gif
Congrats!!

York County here!
:)
yippiechickie.gif

Check out this interactive BYC map thread. Texas seems to be well represented but I'm all alone in PA.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/740342/interactive-byc-map
SEE above in regards to a full map in my signature which we hope to fill up!!
South western.

Well, I woke up to a healthy chick and 5 more pips.
jumpy.gif
I'm thinking I wrote the wrong date on the calendar? Who knows, but exciting day ahead for me!!
wee.gif
lau.gif
you know this is why I started to write EVERYTHING on my eggs, they look like a wall in the subway! he he he

Finally about to name my chickens.... Goin with Ravens names....you know, the Super Bowl champs!!!!! Hens will have offensive players and roosters will have defensive players....any suggestions?!?
GREAT IDEA!!
gig.gif

Welcome to all the new folks. Looks like Sally has been busy in her role as ambassador of the PA thread!

Northern Dauphin county here.
AMBASSADOR! Wow that sounds important!
old.gif
Just a few invites!! LOL

Hello PA thread. I'm located in Perkasie, Bucks County. Good to see so many PA people on here.

Quote: LOL not anymore!
I need to vent about my muscovies. I swear they have a death wish.

All summer, they ignore the pond, and hang around the poultry pens. That is, except for one (Old Mama) When fall arrived, they followed her, and all started hanging around the pond. Soon they were spending the night there. There were 9 of them, 3 boys & 6 girls. The pond is near a wooded area that is an area wildlife follow across a valley that is mostly open fields, which means that the ducks are choosing to sleep in the area closest to any possible predators. You can see where this is going....

Some of them were coming back up to the poultry area most nights, and either sleeping in the pen with the Swedish ducks, or under the chicken trailer. I thought they had gotten the message that, as their friends went missing, that the pond was not a safe place to sleep. Or not. Last night, none were in the pens. This morning, I only saw 3 scovies - Old Mama, one of the white-headed girls, and another that I couldn't identify. They were at the edge of the pond which has only a small pool of open water. If - big IF - they are near the poultry area tonight, I can have one of the dogs herd them into a pen and keep them from free ranging in the future. If they insist on sleeping by the pond, they're probably doomed.

The other night, our neighbor whose fields are on the opposite side of the woods, was out hunting coyotes/foxes with a red light and recorded call. Stupid ducks!
OH NO!!! wont they come for treats??? I thought if you train them with treats when they are little they will go in? I SO HOPE I dont have to chase ducks OMG!! tell me its not so!!
ya.gif
THATS AWESOME!! Great to see you in the hatchalong too!!

frow.gif
YAYA!! Thanks everyone for joining us!!! YAY!!!

We have a PA map SEE MY SIGGY!!

Post your zip and we can get ya added!!

Lovely Peggysue!!!
love.gif
Congrats!!

SEE above in regards to a full map in my signature which we hope to fill up!!

lau.gif
you know this is why I started to write EVERYTHING on my eggs, they look like a wall in the subway! he he he
GREAT IDEA!!

gig.gif

AMBASSADOR! Wow that sounds important!
old.gif
Just a few invites!! LOL

LOL not anymore!
OH NO!!! wont they come for treats??? I thought if you train them with treats when they are little they will go in? I SO HOPE I dont have to chase ducks OMG!! tell me its not so!!
THATS AWESOME!! Great to see you in the hatchalong too!!
Sally Im 15323 Washington Co. please put me on the map....

Hi everyone, had a weird hatch with the barred rocks, EBAY EGGS<<<could this be the problem? anywho...I got 2 healthy ones and 2 iffies, those are the 2 that were hatched with the yoke sac outside there body, and curled toes on one foot, genetic? who know's but heres some pictures of my newbees and week old peeps too,

My 2 Guys Posing

One of my ebay barred rocks (right)

4 week old baby BUMPKIN offspring from my girl

Back
Top Bottom