Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    Yep, breaking down the big pen, not yet sure how many sections or the exact way of doing it,,would like to get 5 sections but that might be pushng it.....here s my breakown, thru all of my researching Ikeep coming back to these breeds......buckeye, russian orloff, cream legbars.......and 2 of them have been ordered since last fall. I am still thinking about a 4th,,,,or maybe a mixed pen for eating eggs.....

I work slowly, figure it will take all this summer

2. kalbach8

kalbach8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2013
    PA
    I'm about 45 minutes north of Northumberland itself.

3. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I can dig up the recipe for homemade soda... Maybe.
    And if anyone has aprons I need some. I may just order one before this, but I now know they are sometimes needed, and will happily buy more!

4. MotorcycleChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Now THERE is an idea! We can swap recipes too! [​IMG] That isn't a bad idea, right?

5. country chicks

country chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Power outage peeps. It's been a wild ride with ups and downs. But in the end we have 17 that hatched out. They seem to be doing fine. They were shipped eggs and then with the power going off I'm happy with that. This was our first time hatching eggs

6. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

To make root beer, buy root beer extract at a brewer supply store. Instructions are in the box. Far better than the stuff at the grocery store.
    I use wine yeast, Cote Des Blancs, but I'm told beer or bread yeast works.
    I use old plastic soda bottles. While it is carbonating, check it regularly. The bottles can explode if left out too long. It varies from two to four days for me. The bottles will get hard as it carbonates.
    You can use Splenda as the sweetener and about 5 tablespoons/gallon of sugar to carbonate. The Splenda doesn't ferment, so you end up with a low calorie soda that doesn't explode.
    Many other flavors are available.
    There is a good brewer supply store in lemoyne, one in York (Mr. Steves at Mt. Zion exit), a Mr. Steve's in Lancaster (just relocated, I think near Kmart on fruitville pike), and one near Walmart on 462.
    There area lot of others, those are just the ones near me.

You can adjust the flavoring and sugar to your taste. I use about two chips of sugar/gallon.

The stuff is also available from online suppliers.

7. MotorcycleChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Congratulations! [​IMG] But... Where are the pictures?[​IMG]

8. chiques chicks

Congratulations! I have a couple pips here this morning, too!

9. MotorcycleChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I get the extract from a kitchen store, but then to my surprise I found root beer and orange in the Dollar Tree. Some grocery stores now sell it too.

10. chiques chicks

Try vanilla extract as cream soda :)
    I like to experiment.
    Sparkling grape juice? (waste of a good start to wine, IMHO). Pomegranite fizz? Hmmm, getting ideas here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by