Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

What now you say... Finally my girls are laying and I find one of my eggs Earen!!! Oh no! I hear that once they get a taste that's bad! How can I get them to stop that!!!HELP

EDIT:
Stupid Auto Correct

Earen = EATEN!!
Hopefully the initial cracking/breaking was an accident... if so then you may avoid future troubles by making sure you gather the eggs up quickly (multiple times a day) to prevent multiple eggs being banged together in one nest.
As McC said I'd make sure that calcium (usually as crushed oyster shells) is freely available to your layers. It will do two things, satisfy any urge for calcium they may have and increase the strength of the egg shells to reduce chance of accidental breakage.

I don't know how you'd 'cure' anyone from egg eating if it becomes a habit, in fact, I've read that usual answer is to cull a known egg eater from the flock to prevent more hens picking up on the habit. If it was accidental break then hopefully the hens won't associate whole eggs with the source of the internal stuff.
I know folks also use 'roll away' egg boxes to reduce the chances of egg eating, it may be something you need to get so you can avoid replacing multiple birds or even your flock if you can't figure out who is doing it or stop it from happening. (especially if you can't collect eggs multiple times a day because of work or something)

Good luck! I hope it was an accident and doesn't repeat!

And the five mutts.

Pretty sure I know who daddy is to the yellow one, just no idea about mom!

Last edited:
Had the perfect quote for a facebook status (for the city friends) but my daughter thinks they would be offended by it....you wouldn't believe the things they ask..

City slicker is an idiomatic expression for someone accustomed to a city or urban lifestyle and unsuited to life in the country. The term was typically used as a term of derision by rural Americans who regarded them with amusement.

Redneck - a glorious lack of sophistication. Yep, been there.

Took my SO a little time to adapt, as it did for me. She lives in downtown Harrisburg.

Example: gunshots there = cause for fear. Here = neighbors out relaxing. Or the range down the creek, especially Sunday mornings!

Redneck - a glorious lack of sophistication. Yep, been there.

Took my SO a little time to adapt, as it did for me. She lives in downtown Harrisburg.

Example: gunshots there = cause for fear. Here = neighbors out relaxing. Or the range down the creek, especially Sunday mornings!
Yep, got one friend in particular that says, she looks in the freezer to see what's for dinner,,,and I look out the back door to see what's for dinner....should of seen her face when I fed her squirel..

Back
Top Bottom