Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania

2. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    I thought if you crossed certain duck breeds...you got duds...the babies can't reproduce when they grow up.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] OMG that would be terrible!!

4. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky

Hey, was that you I ran into? I was talking to someone, but had to run before I bought those ducks, lol.

6. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    #1, start collecting eggs more often.
    2) Be sure they have enough calcium in their diet. I keep reading that lack of calcium is what starts the habit most of the time.

7. missydcpc

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    What is a mule duck?
    Muscovy and domestic ducks (such as the Pekin - which were developed from Mallards) are very different as they have been genetically isolated for over 50 million years. They can be crossed but you get some very interesting results. If you cross a Muscovy male with a Pekin female you will hatch moulards (or mule ducks); if you cross a Pekin male with a Muscovy female the progeny are called hinnies. In Europe and in Asia many mule ducks are produced because of their large size, quality liver and reduced fat content in the carcass. Artificial insemination has been developed in ducks due to the desire to produce mule ducks. If left to mate naturally, the fertility is only 20-30%. Artificial insemination brings the fertility up to 80%. Whereas a Pekin takes 28 days to hatch and a Muscovy takes 35 days, a mule or hinny takes 32 days to hatch.

Approximately 60% of mule ducks are males. Some of their characteristics are like the Muscovy as they are large, quiet, slow moving and have long claws but are also like Pekin as they swim well, the males and females are much the same size and they do not fly. Hinnies are not grown commercially. Male hinnies are much larger than female hinnies, like the muscovy, yet the females look like Pekins but fly quite well. Mules and hinnies cannot reproduce. Both males are sterile and only the hinny females lay eggs (though they cannot hatch). If you have Muscovy and Pekin together, the chances are poor that they will cross but if they do, a hinny will probably be the result as Pekin males can catch Muscovy females more easily than Muscovy males can catch Pekin females.

1 person likes this.
  8. missydcpc

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    A mule duck is a sterile, hybrid duck.

It is created from a cross between a male Muscovy (aka Barbary) duck, and a female from another duck breed. Because the Muscovy duck is actually a different species,"Cairina moschatvs Anas platyrynchos", from all other ducks, the offspring is sterile and can't breed other offspring. The birds won't be fliers, either.

The rate of offspring actually produced between Muscovy and other ducks is actually quite low only, 20-30%, so it's boosted up to 80% by using artificial insemination. Incubation of the eggs takes an average of 32 days.

Mule Ducks are bred for several reasons. One is that they will have lean, large breasts, about 8 to 10 oz (225 to 280g) per breast.

France: Moulard Ducks

In France, the word used is "Moulard", and usually implies the cross was between a male Muscovy duck, and a female Pekin duck. Occasionally, the female may be a Rouen.

In France, Moulard ducks are bred specially for foie gras production and for meat. The resultant females are valued for their large breasts; the males are valued for foie gras production, because the males are larger and hardier, making them better able to stand up to the forced feeding ("gavage"), and the female livers are often veined, causing them to get downgraded.

In the 1960s, foie gras production switched from geese to Moulard ducks, as they are less expensive to keep than geese. In searching for an alternative to geese, straight-up Muscovy ducks were first tried, but they react against the forced feeding, so the idea of Muscovy cross-breeds was hit upon.

Read more: http://www.cooksinfo.com/mule-duck#ixzz2MaPearvG

9. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Because I know you like these pics
    [​IMG]
    Toes aren't really curled like that, just the way it was sitting.

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    cute!! look at that black mohawk!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by