Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

My chicks are mostly all feathered but I guess I'll still wait another week or two just to be sure... Plus I adopted 4 more chicks that are about a week behind and I'm thinking I should put them all out at the same time...
thinking about getting two ducklings off of craigslist for $2 and trying to raise them with my chicks... Am I nuts?
Have any of you ever done that? The lady who has them said they make a very watery mess with the chick waterers...

I'd keep them away from the chicks. Like someone else said, ducks are terribly messy. They need to be able to submerge their bills when they eat, and seem to enjoy flinging water round as part of the process. Their poop is much wetter than chicks, and you would need to replace bedding much more often. We refer to ducklings as 'stinklings'.

Quote:

I'm kind of sorry I have something else to do that day. It could be fun to go to a chicken auction with a bunch of enablers....
oh My Goodness! That's right! It's like meeting your drinking buddies at an AA meeting! I will come prepared with a list and stick to it. (like that ever helps) Henchandelier, yes, you are nuts. As indeed are the rest of us. Seems like whenever anyone asks me how many chickens I have, I have to stop. And think. And count. And my answer.... 'a lot'. Thank God there is always someone on here with 'a lot' more than me!

Hi all,
Northern Berks Co here.
Our blue copper marans broody has JUST hatched out 6 chicks and the man of the house has agreed to put up the bunch for sale. Mama goes with the babies. I haven't examined the babies thoroughly yet but I think I have seen light blues, dark blues, and blacks. Daddy is either a blue copper marans or a blue egg( tailed) black Araucauna, so pullets should lay either a pure marans egg or a nice olive egg. You should be able to tell by the comb and leg feathers which daddy it is. It's entirely possible they are all pure marans, but who would turn down a nice olive egg?
We have 7 laying B/B/S copper marans right now and had set the darkest eggs. For those having trouble hatching marans, we totally agree it's a crapshoot. We had set 12 eggs.
Also available is a 5 ft chicken feeder on legs, used but lots of life left.Too large for our coop.

We aren't about to ship these so local pickup only. PM me for more info.

we are in Forks township and just picked up 2 barred rock (3 days old ) and 2 ameracuna (born today ). We got them from "best things from eggs " in Easton. Ben and Stephanie were very helpful and informative. they showed us all their feathered friends and did not rush us at all.

I am embarrassed to ask, but I live in Southern York County, an hour from Ephrata. Earlier in the thread a lot of you talked about The Green Dragon Market and an upcoming event May 12th. I looked it up but can only find the normal information for their weekly business. What exactly goes on May 12th? For the auction can anyone buy? What do they sell? Can you only buy in the auction? Do vendors sell chickens? Please give me info!!! I really want to go to this.

"Hello from Southeast PA!!!

If after your Clarion meet-up any of you are still looking to buy and/or sell, there will a GREAT poultry auction going on in Lancaster County, PA on Saturday, May 12th starting at 10:00am. The location is at the Green Dragon Small Animal Auction at 955 North State Street Ephrata, PA 17522.

Anyone can call me at 610-763-9804 or email me at [email protected] for more info or for a copy of our flyer for the auction.

Many of you seem interested in buying call ducks and sebastopol goslings...both of which I know will be at this sale, plus hordes of other ornamental bantams, large fowl, waterfowl, pheasants, turkeys, cage birds (parrots, finches, lovebirds, canaries, etc.), peafowl, chicks, and much more. We also sell cages, wire, and pet supplies.

If you are looking to sell, we will start accepting at 6:00 am that day. Please keep in mind that any poultry to be sold at auction that is from outside PA, necessary AI paperwork would be needed. Also, all carriers/cages will go along with the animals when sold, so if you want to keep your carriers, just bring the birds in carboard boxes with plenty of air holes and/or wire sides for easy viewing.

Hope some of you Western PA folks can make it!!!

Keith"

This was Keith's post in another thread about the Green Dragon. I was there last night to check out their regular Friday night auction. I was neat. It's cash only and anyone can buy. No poultry vendors, just the auction. The auction started at 6:30 and I didn't leave until 11:30. There were so many animals that I didn't think those stacks of boxed would ever go down. Lots of guinea pigs and rabbits. Not too many pure breed heritage chickens though. But the ones that were there went for a nice price if you were interested in selling.

Back
Top Bottom