Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania

2. eweaber

eweaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    Lebanon PA
    Sally, I got 4 Red Bourbon Poults from a couple in Denver pa.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    interesting wing! I asked the feed mills but they always get standard turkeys, maybe thats what I need? idk friggen know! he he he

4. wingstone

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    can't hurt to ask, ,,I have some BBW eggs right now, debating on setting or eating, or just sending the eggs with chad when he gets the turkey's

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Sally, what exactly are you looking for in a turkey? The BB varieties are great little turkeys, but they do have their issues. Even on a diet and free-range, I had one that died because she couldn't handle the tom's weight (and he weighs less than they do). If you're looking for pets, go for a BB mix or a heritage bird. If you're looking for Thanksgiving dinner, go with the BB varieties. Royal palms are gorgeous birds, but they aren't nearly as friendly as some of the other breeds. I've heard narries can be mean. I HATE the Easterns, they're just as wild as the ones born in the woods! They're WORSE than the royal palms and I would never, ever get another one unless it was free and I planned on butchering it that day. They might be small, but don't underestimate them... They HURT! I hear a lot of good stories about the bourbon reds, people seem to love them. They seem to be quite abundant as well, a lot of folks here have them available (ProfTi and Ayeupchuck off the top of my head). I've heard good things about the slates as well.

6. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    EEEP! Don't eat them! If you want eating eggs, I'll send you a couple dozen free-range chicken eggs and take those turkey eggs, LOL.

7. wingstone

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania

8. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

My broody abandoned today.: ( Eggs still had warmth, so I moved them to the bator. Can't hurt to try. Guess I'm hand turning for a couple weeks.

9. wingstone

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    are you sure she abandoned, I've had broodies leave the nest for an hour or two at times then come back and settle in.

10. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania

If you need waterfowl eggs to trade, I have fertile Indian Runners on a regular basis!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by