Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Nearly 3" of snow here today... nasty, miserable cold out last night. PennDot wasn't out when we were on the road at 0200, was not fun driving.

OK... so here are some updates

Made a oyster shell and grit dispenser from an old (and cracked) dog water dispenser that someone was throwing out. Cut hole in neck of soda bottle, and then in bottom (for filling once upside down). Works great!

Mindy's little chicks aren't little any more! They will be 8 wks on Saturday 3/23 and are as big as Gracie now. What has been really cool to see is that the little Barred Rock roos (3 of them) are protective of Gracie and will actually gang up on a couple of the hens who have tried to give Gracie a hard time. They aren't nearly as big as the other hens, but make quite the gang to deal with when they get all protective!
gig.gif

Mindy is still a favorite roost when they get the chance!

A bit hard to mix scratch with supervision! LOL

And since Mindy's little ones are growing up she went to TSC today and look what she brought home!

and some of these....

and here is Mindy, supervising the new arrivals... and she now won't allow any other animals in the mud room!

We converted an old wood play pen into a brooder for this group... just added hardware cloth and an old flannel sheet for draft protection.
Not fancy, but they seem very content for the moment.

We got 10 Cornish X meat birds, and 6 Black Giants (JGs). We will probably go get another 10 or 15 CornishX in another week or two so we don't have to process all at once, and hope freezer will be full by end of May, (But we don't talk about that in front of Mindy!! )

4 sq ft per large fowl. So I'd say your answer is 20, having said that, while food will be stored elsewhere, I assume you will feed and water in the coop. I'd prolly limit it to 15, but that's me.

4 sq ft per large fowl. So I'd say your answer is 20, having said that, while food will be stored elsewhere, I assume you will feed and water in the coop. I'd prolly limit it to 15, but that's me.
I'm with Missy... although 4 sq feet is 'average' it can be more or less depending on bird size and even flock dynamics. Having room to 'escape' from conflicts while in the coop really helps keep a more contented flock. Crowding can cause more conflicts and bad habits.
You will also find you end up wanting to add a few things inside where it is handy to get to them, and the space inside the doorway quickly becomes full of odds and ends.
Leave yourself a bit of 'wiggle room'. If you find your flock is content and you want to expand your flock later you will still have room for 2 or 3 more without major changes also.

ok thanks
hmm.png

Quote: for that contest yes there are others BYC members can be part of see this link for contests https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741090/the-4th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long
WE KNOW now why your found on road DEAD
Quote:
lau.gif

Nearly 3" of snow here today... nasty, miserable cold out last night. PennDot wasn't out when we were on the road at 0200, was not fun driving.

OK... so here are some updates

Made a oyster shell and grit dispenser from an old (and cracked) dog water dispenser that someone was throwing out. Cut hole in neck of soda bottle, and then in bottom (for filling once upside down). Works great!

Mindy's little chicks aren't little any more! They will be 8 wks on Saturday 3/23 and are as big as Gracie now. What has been really cool to see is that the little Barred Rock roos (3 of them) are protective of Gracie and will actually gang up on a couple of the hens who have tried to give Gracie a hard time. They aren't nearly as big as the other hens, but make quite the gang to deal with when they get all protective!
gig.gif

Mindy is still a favorite roost when they get the chance!

A bit hard to mix scratch with supervision! LOL

And since Mindy's little ones are growing up she went to TSC today and look what she brought home!

and some of these....

and here is Mindy, supervising the new arrivals... and she now won't allow any other animals in the mud room!

We converted an old wood play pen into a brooder for this group... just added hardware cloth and an old flannel sheet for draft protection.
Not fancy, but they seem very content for the moment.

We got 10 Cornish X meat birds, and 6 Black Giants (JGs). We will probably go get another 10 or 15 CornishX in another week or two so we don't have to process all at once, and hope freezer will be full by end of May, (But we don't talk about that in front of Mindy!! )
awww love the puppy and chicks pics!!

8 serama babies out and 4 to go, looks like one is gone but I would say Harmony Does it AGAIN, oh wait, I ended up with all the turning this time around! I think we need a break until next year or I get my NY eggs, wait we have brahma to set this weekend and I need more silkies! I need a turner in the coolerbator at this point I think.
Def agree you need a turner for all those eggs you keep hatching! Don't know how you do it without one I love my brinsea because I just set and forget!! Hope Halo gets better soon!! So sad he is very handsome! Also have 7 eggs that go into lockdown tomorrow!! Soo excited to have 7 more to the gang!! Can't wait to see what colors I get and hopefully I will get some frizzles!

Back
Top Bottom