Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. JoanO

JoanO In the Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    Spring Grove, PA
    Aunt Kat - I think you might even be close enough to taste test! LOL

2. Sweet!!! x2!

3. ctfeathers

ctfeathers Chirping

Mar 3, 2013
    Eastern PA
    Oh Sally? are these silkies? They are being sold as straight run assorted bantams...but they look like silkies ....
    [​IMG]

4. AUNT KAT

AUNT KAT Chirping

Mar 19, 2013
    Lebanon, Pa
    LOL! Well, we had looked into getting a miniature horse because our vet said I have a great pasture with way more than sufficient grass for one in addition to my goats, but seeing as how I am "winging it" so to speak with having a farm, I have hesitated. I didn't grow up on a farm, but always wanted one and finally got my dream about 6 years ago. Not sure i am ready for a horse. Don't they require EXTREMELY alot??? I am not sure exactly how to care for them. Although, each animal on the farm was a first for me. I think I have found my nitch in goats, chickens, and ducks. Probably wouldn't have gotten a pig if my pot bellied , Hamlett, didn't need rescuing quick. He was in a bad situation and needed a home right away. Have been thinking about trying sheep and a turkey at some point. I WOULD GIVE MY LEFT EYEBALL FOR A MINI SICILIAN DONKEY, but as I mentioned, the neighbors would be horrible about it, so I can't. I get REALLY REALLY REALLY attached to my animals, and love them so much, so if they complained, I would just crumble to have to part with it! If you have any horse advice, please do PM me! I'd love to hear about how to care for them, and what they are like.

5. mama2my4

mama2my4 Songster

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA

Me! Me! Me!

You need to post a picture of those peeps and stop teasing me!

6. They probably are, but they would be hatchery silkies. HUUUGE difference between quality silkies from a breeder, and hatchery stock. This is coming from one that had to learn the hard way. Case in point:
    [​IMG]
    Quality
    [​IMG]
    Hatchery (she's peeking up in the middle)
    Beardless, little to no crest, 4 toes on one foot, 5 on the other. Just to name a few differences. There are enough people on this thread with quality Silkies, that you shouldn't go that route. Just my opinion!

7. yelnad

yelnad Chirping

Dec 3, 2012
    Central PA
    Sally, I have a 5 week old red sex link with the same issue. Just noticed it today...we don't think it was like this before. My husband couldn't feel anything wrong. She doesn't seem to be in pain and is acting normal and roosting. What do we do?? It's my 3year old's favorite chicken, Mailman, of course.

8. ctfeathers

ctfeathers Chirping

Mar 3, 2013
    Eastern PA
    Point well taken. Still freaking cute!

9. mama2my4

mama2my4 Songster

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Couldn't agree with you more!

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by