Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    I have more than 2 [​IMG]

2. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

As do I, and I need to think about more. There are the old dog kernels in the barn I could convert.

3. pagumby

pagumby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Hummelstown, PA
    So what does everyone cover their runs with? My run will be approx. 350-400 sq. foot. We have hawks hovering around looking for anything that moves.

4. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Cover for hawk/owl protection can range from everything from bird netting to 1" chicken wire to solid roofing. Depends on the width being spanned and how much money you want to put into it and what distances you are spanning. Also to be considered is if you need coverage for predators other than Birds of prey and if you want to cover to also be a source of weather and sun protection.

We plan on partial solid roofing of ours this spring to provide an outdoor area under roof, and the rest will be done with chain link we managed to find used. But we need to predator proof for raccoons and possums and such also.

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I bought poultry netting from cutler supply ~ http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_36&products_id=930&zenid=cce59e4e94e4c6cd8dcc1f50d59d5a8b

They have a light weight and a heavy weight. I got the heavy weight and it has been up for 3 years ~ one year with heavy snow and it has held up very well. Keeps the chickens in and the hawks and other birds out. It will not keep out raccoons and other furry critters ~ but I lock my girls in their coops at night so that is not a problem for me.

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

We also did a section under solid roof right outside of the pop hole door. It is great for the girls to hang out on rainy or snowy days. It also shades that part of the run.

7. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    It's the addition and multiplication that occurs while you are subtracting from the glass that is the issue. There is a subtraction in the bank account as you are multiplying the number of eggs for the incubator and chicks on order. So [(Vodka OJ - time=empty glass) x (ebay+BST forum)] = (bank account - random listings won + day after remorse) All in all chicken math can work in funny ways.
    AMEN!

8. motherhen71185

motherhen71185 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Southern York County, PA
    Thanks!! She did! I always give my girls a nice treat after they lamb! Molases mixed in their feed, warm water, and some fresh hay. Along with plenty of carrots/apples and scratches!
    Our sheep are very good pets, but they need to be sociolized if you want to keep them that way. we have a few that are the scratch me, love me, kind, but the rest are happy to keep their distance until feeding time. They all eat carrots our of our hands. Our boys are more friendly than our girls are. They enjoy being scratched and loved on. :)

Our pastures are all hills and they do a great job of mowing it for us!

9. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    From my understanding which I haven't tried is high tensile fishing line like they do at the beach works. They use that to keep all birds away from certain areas.

10. motherhen71185

motherhen71185 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Southern York County, PA
    Aunt Kat, you should stop by and come visit with them! I think you will enjoy it. You could bring your kids as well. My DD loves to show off her animals!
    (any one else is welcome to stop by as well) :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by