Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. yelnad

yelnad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2012
    Central PA
    So it's done to save on feed costs?

2. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Yup, I always do the "colony breeding" setup. The "religious" BQ folk will claim that it's cruelty and "wrong", but if you have pairs, they tend to strip the females... Sure, they may pair in the wild, but they also have large breeding areas and can choose their partners at will, not get stuck in a pen with a mate they hate. So, colony breeding is all I'll use anymore.

3. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    It saves on feed cost and is healthier for the birds. The feed is "pre-digested" so they can absorb more of the nutrients. It helps with poop too. The cornish cross have great poop, although my kids have caught the blame before for pooping in the driveway when it was actually a chicken turd... The cornish cross certainly know how to poop.

4. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    I use 5 gallon buckets. Fill 2/3 full with your preferred mix of feeds. Add 1-2 cups unpasteurized apple cider vinegar. Fill to 3/4 full with slightly warm water & stir. Add 1/2 cup of brown sugar if desired to kick start the process. Allow to set 24 hours stirring once or twice & adding water as needed to keep a thin layer of water over the top of the feed. Strain out as much water as possible & feed to the birds. Sometimes it takes a couple days to get a good reaction going, but you should start seeing bubbles & foam in your bucket within 6-48 hours depending on how warm the area you are keeping your bucket is. Once your reaction starts, just add feed & water each day after dipping out the feed you need for that day. Leave the liquid in the bucket to keep the fermentation going.

Benefits include increased egg production, weight gain, less feed waste, less feed used. Reasons: Fermented feed is easier for the birds to digest & they get more of the nutritional value from the feed. Any feed containing soy is actually toxic unless roasted or fermented.

1 person likes this.
  5. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    I hadn't heard about this method. More details please. I use the UPACV method.

6. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Does anyone want any coturnix chicks? I have two that hatched through the night and I'd rather not have a brooder for just two (I was just checking fertility).

7. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    I'm always collecting new blood lines, but not sure how far away you are. I'm just south of Wheeling in Ohio.

8. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    It's really as simple as I typed. I'm lazy like that! I don't use any calculations, I just do it by eye. Sprinkle maybe a tbsp of yeast on your dry mash (or pellets or whatever, but mash is cheaper), mix it up, add water and mix it up until EVERYTHING is moist. I like to add just enough water that I can level the top off and it's kind of like a cow patty. If it's crumbly, it needs more water.

9. yelnad

yelnad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2012
    Central PA
    Thank you!!

10. eweaber

eweaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    Lebanon PA
    I will try to get a picture up later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by