Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you share a picture of them :)

2. re5671

re5671 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2012
    Saegertown PA
    SAEGERTOWN, PA

ANNAP

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I have 5 quail, 3 pekins, 9 cornish cross, 4 leghorns, 3 light brahmas, 2 ams, 3 mixed, 1 silkie roo, 9 teenageish silkies, 2 MF D'Uccle, 3 turkeys. Then for the growouts, I have 6 serama (more teenagish), 6 marans, 4 larger poults, 6 smaller poults, 2 mallards, 1 superblue, a buff orp chick, silkie chick and a few leghorn chicks. 400lbs lasts about 5 weeks, but I free-range and ferment their feed and they get ALL scraps from the house.

4. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG button quail!!! They are awesome!! We used to own a pair... but the male raped the female to death :/ We didn't now at the time 2:1 ratio lol

5. yelnad

yelnad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2012
    Central PA
    Does anyone want to tell me about fermented feed? Purpose? How?

6. re5671

Aug 9, 2012
    Saegertown PA
    not far from you I'm near Meadville PA

7. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Yeah, I don't have anywhere for loose feed either. :/ I can only handle about 400lbs at a time. I put it all in the garage, but still, after the 3rd 100lb bag, I start to get a little tired, LOL. My car could easily handle more than 400lbs, but that's all the more I can handle. I could probably get half a ton in my car pretty easily, more if I decided to put some inside the car, but I prefer to use the bed only.

8. AUNT KAT

AUNT KAT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Lebanon, Pa
    Hi from Lebanon! [​IMG]

9. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I do mine the lazy man's way. I just use dry yeast to ferment it. At $4/2lbs, it's worth it, since 1lb will last about 6 months. It cuts the feed bill down by quite a bit actually. I'd say I feed about 75% if I feed fermented and 100% if I feed just wet. For the yeast method, I just put my mash in, sprinkle some yeast on top, mix it a bit, then add warm water and let it sit for a few hours (or feed immediately and use a little more yeast if I've been lazy or busy for that feeding). I like this method better than using ACV and having to strain everything and having buckets sitting around for days. With as much feed as I go through, I'd have to have 15 buckets sitting around every day for the other method.

10. re5671

Aug 9, 2012
    Saegertown PA
    isnt that where the big medevil fest is? along 79?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by