Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Oh joy, today the girls are moving outside...now my house can go back to smelling like cigarette butts and stale beer.
woot.gif
We moved our 2 wk old meaties and JGs outside to the coop yesterday... they are in our broody area, heat lamp in the broody box and a 3.5 x 8ft sandy run to stretch in. So glad to have them out of the mud room! Though Mindy is pretty upset about it.
Rocco playing with two wyandottes.
Sweet! Glad Rocco is enjoying the new playmates!
love.gif

I used to make beer on a regular basis but haven't had much time since my second kid was born. Want to start brewing again this summer. What do you think would happen if I use chicken feed to make beer. I know I would have to "malt" it 1st. But it would technically work?
Just be on the lookout for crowing or clucking behaviors when you overindulge!
lau.gif

Mealworms
Yep, a trail of mealworms leading into the pen! I've bribed birds in on more than one ocassion!

yep, its a good day....they haven't gotten the courage to venture into the coop or to be more than 6" from eachother
Nice set up for your grow out!
I have a fishing net made for Striped bass...(extra large).....(extra long handle)
We have nets all over and I never thought to put one in the coop! LOL... will have to do that though!
As I sat there freezing, I kept thinking how I needed to get a net. Not sure how well it would have worked with all the branches in the way. Still kept thinking it would be better than nothing. Especially when she kept walking toward me.
They also make something called a 'cast net', Some places carry them in a 4 ft diameter and some places much larger. You throw it out and it spreads out in a flat circle and lands over the target. It would work in odd areas by covering both the chicken and the obstruction *insert term 'hiding spot' here* and allow you to pin the bird down quicker.

Woot woot!!!! Congrats! Pics please!!! :D

Pics as soon as he's out of the incubator! (yup, hoping for a roo to cover my black girls with and make blues). This chick is calm, sitting there all plumb, looking like a buddah ~gotta love these plump Orp babies. His hatch mate 'Loudy' is about to drive me crazy, woke me up several times last night, ear plugs are a must today. P!!

Weird double post...

Last edited:
Soooo... I have a chick in the Lilac bush that I have been trying to get for two hours. I am cold, and really tied of waiting for the silly thing to WANT to be caught or go inside. It can see it's coop and the big coop. They are not that far apart. She keeps coming towards me, but stops three feet away, and runs back to the bush.
Any suggestions?

Glad you got her in! We keep our scratch in an empty plastic container, they ALL know that shaking sound means scratch, it works really well when we are trying to get the chooks in earlier than they want to on their own. When it's a young chick, unfamiliar with the scratch routine, I ask the kids to help round it up, if the kids are unavailable, I take a pole (rake , stick, whatever) and use that to corral it, sometimes I'll take a pebble and throw it behind the chick to get it to run toward me.

CC:

I was thinking about giving this a try.....

I thought grapes are wine and other fruits are brandy? I also heard using champagne yeast is prefered...?....

Brandy is distilled wine (increased alcohol content). Wine made from fruit is fruit wine.

Different yeasts have different flavor profiles. Champagne yeast tends to ferment to dry while some others leave some residual sweetness. Some are better to use with fruit to maintain fruitiness, some best for certain wine styles, some for cider, some for Mead. Same holds true for beer yeasts. I normally keep for or six different basic yeasts on hand just in case something comes along.

Chad, did you try the beer bottles of spiced hard cider?

woot.gif
We moved our 2 wk old meaties and JGs outside to the coop yesterday... they are in our broody area, heat lamp in the broody box and a 3.5 x 8ft sandy run to stretch in. So glad to have them out of the mud room! Though Mindy is pretty upset about it.
Sweet! Glad Rocco is enjoying the new playmates!
love.gif

Just be on the lookout for crowing or clucking behaviors when you overindulge!
lau.gif

Yep, a trail of mealworms leading into the pen! I've bribed birds in on more than one ocassion!
Nice set up for your grow out!
We have nets all over and I never thought to put one in the coop! LOL... will have to do that though!
They also make something called a 'cast net', Some places carry them in a 4 ft diameter and some places much larger. You throw it out and it spreads out in a flat circle and lands over the target. It would work in odd areas by covering both the chicken and the obstruction *insert term 'hiding spot' here* and allow you to pin the bird down quicker.
re the cast net, you have to know how to throw it otherwise it just lands in a clump, it isn't easy til you learn how, i used to throw one years ago for catching mullet in florida
bun.gif

I have a gorgeous, 8 month old Porcelain (upon close inspection, this bird is actually porcelain, not lav wheaten) project Ameraucana Rooster forsale if anyone needs a handsome yard EE
smile.png
He will make beautiful babies! I can deliver to York Show, or he would need to be picked up here in Berk co. Let me know if any of you guys want him...

Back
Top Bottom