Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. country chicks

country chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Does anyone happen to have any german line nh peeps they would like to sell?

2. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]We moved our 2 wk old meaties and JGs outside to the coop yesterday... they are in our broody area, heat lamp in the broody box and a 3.5 x 8ft sandy run to stretch in. So glad to have them out of the mud room! Though Mindy is pretty upset about it.
    Sweet! Glad Rocco is enjoying the new playmates! [​IMG]
    Just be on the lookout for crowing or clucking behaviors when you overindulge! [​IMG]
    Yep, a trail of mealworms leading into the pen! I've bribed birds in on more than one ocassion!
    Nice set up for your grow out!
    We have nets all over and I never thought to put one in the coop! LOL... will have to do that though!
    They also make something called a 'cast net', Some places carry them in a 4 ft diameter and some places much larger. You throw it out and it spreads out in a flat circle and lands over the target. It would work in odd areas by covering both the chicken and the obstruction *insert term 'hiding spot' here* and allow you to pin the bird down quicker.

3. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

Pics as soon as he's out of the incubator! (yup, hoping for a roo to cover my black girls with and make blues). This chick is calm, sitting there all plumb, looking like a buddah ~gotta love these plump Orp babies. His hatch mate 'Loudy' is about to drive me crazy, woke me up several times last night, ear plugs are a must today. P!!

Weird double post...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  4. Blarneyeggs

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

Glad you got her in! We keep our scratch in an empty plastic container, they ALL know that shaking sound means scratch, it works really well when we are trying to get the chooks in earlier than they want to on their own. When it's a young chick, unfamiliar with the scratch routine, I ask the kids to help round it up, if the kids are unavailable, I take a pole (rake , stick, whatever) and use that to corral it, sometimes I'll take a pebble and throw it behind the chick to get it to run toward me.

5. Blarneyeggs

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Nice looking set up! I usually start mine IN the coop, then that's 'home' and they run back there at dusk.

6. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Brandy is distilled wine (increased alcohol content). Wine made from fruit is fruit wine.

Different yeasts have different flavor profiles. Champagne yeast tends to ferment to dry while some others leave some residual sweetness. Some are better to use with fruit to maintain fruitiness, some best for certain wine styles, some for cider, some for Mead. Same holds true for beer yeasts. I normally keep for or six different basic yeasts on hand just in case something comes along.

Chad, did you try the beer bottles of spiced hard cider?

7. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    re the cast net, you have to know how to throw it otherwise it just lands in a clump, it isn't easy til you learn how, i used to throw one years ago for catching mullet in florida[​IMG]

8. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    I have 5, 12-13 week old birds I'm growing out. 2 males 3 female. Will probably be culling down to a quad, I'll have chicks from these 2014. If you just want pretty yard birds, I have some 4 week old culls now [​IMG]

9. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    I have a gorgeous, 8 month old Porcelain (upon close inspection, this bird is actually porcelain, not lav wheaten) project Ameraucana Rooster forsale if anyone needs a handsome yard EE [​IMG] He will make beautiful babies! I can deliver to York Show, or he would need to be picked up here in Berk co. Let me know if any of you guys want him...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

That's the truth!! Takes a bit of practice for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by