Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

If using fresh fruit for wine, I seem to recall 5# per 5 gallon batch, plus sugar to raise alcohol content. I've used raspberries, blueberries, tomatoes (actually a really good dry white wine), of course grapes, frozen grape concentrated (welches wine). Just what I had available cheap.
    Malting is done with whole grains, allow to sprout, dry, remove sprouts, roast grain. This frees up the sugars. I've never tried it. I just buy my grains and malts from the brew store. I have a frequent customer card at 3 of them.

2. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    I need to try to find a brew store close to me. Know of any near Wheeling [​IMG]

3. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Best I could do in a hurry: http://m.yp.com/wheeling-wv/home-brewing-supplies Midwest supplies online is good, but shipping can be a killer.

4. stake

stake Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Malvern, pa
    [​IMG]

yep, its a good day....they haven't gotten the courage to venture into the coop or to be more than 6" from eachother

5. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
  6. stake

Feb 5, 2013
    Malvern, pa
    I have a fishing net made for Striped bass...(extra large).....(extra long handle)

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I too use fishing nets. I have picked up a few of them cheap at yard sales and keep one handy in the coop storage area at all times.

8. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop

9. stake

Feb 5, 2013
    Malvern, pa
    CC:

I was thinking about giving this a try.....

I thought grapes are wine and other fruits are brandy? I also heard using champagne yeast is prefered...?....

10. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    I found mine laying along side the road. Some poor fellas must have lost it and I found it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by