Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    uuummmm......please do not throw me under the bus for this..[​IMG] any of us really need bigger incubators ???
  2. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apparently Sally does....LOL![​IMG]
  4. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Nah! I'm trying to curb my addiction. Not adding any random/unplanned breeds this year. Thanks anyway.
  5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Mine goes from 37-38C. Works well for me. It's extremely accurate and besides following incorrect diagrams and those issues, when I actually sat down and thought everything through and ignored the bad diagram, I finally got it right.
  6. chiques chicks

chiques chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

If I had internet besides my phone, I'd draw up a wiring diagram, that is the part most people find intimidating. I'm with Sally, two sockets/bulbs in case one burns out. In a large box, I may consider three or more. I had to play with wattage a little, varied by box. Too low, it has trouble staying warm, to high, it heats too fast and over shoots.
    The wafer Sally has pictured seems to work well. Water heater thermostats are a last resort, although there are directions on the net how to drill holes to help. I also found mounting them on a small (4x4 or so) piece of metal seems to help. I have one that used one, one wafer, one digital.
    Try some soda bottles filled with water to stabilize the temp, and a minimum of one day to get it regulated.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky

I do too! I didn't have enough room last year, this year is real bad and come fall and next spring, I'll need about 3 times what I have now. Currently it's a sportsman and an LG and a friend is giving me another LG so I have a little more room for now.
  8. pagumby

pagumby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Hummelstown, PA
    I'm new to all this chicken stuff and you guys are killing me with all if the incubator talk. So...[​IMG]

Would this work. Its our old drop in range. Glass door and all lol.
  9. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Won't work for fermented feed, but could be reduced in size and divided in half and would make an awesome chicken grit-oyster shell dispenser in a layer coop!
  10. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA

I have three in the brooder now. Hoping for a girl or two....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by