Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    get there early if you go, this time of the year, its crazy[​IMG]

2. AUNT KAT

AUNT KAT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Lebanon, Pa
    HI!!!! WELCOME!!!
    IF YOU ARE HEADING THIS WAY, LET ME KNOW!!!! AND WE CAN PUT THE WORD OUT- ANYONE GOING THAT WAY WITH A TRUCK.....lol?
    HELLO!!!!!
    I'm in for the swap!!! Don't know how to build a bator though! Gonna have enough struggle trying to renovate the barn and build runs like I want, but no time like the present to learn with hubby going to be gone so much.
    So glad everything worked out for you!!!!

3. AUNT KAT

AUNT KAT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Lebanon, Pa
    Hey all, just a question. With strong storms expected the next couple days, what do you guys do if power goes out and you are incubating eggs???? Anyone have suggestions for how I can prepare? Wish I had seen the forecast earlier for hubby to hook up the generator. if it holds off til he comes home, that is what I am gonna do.

4. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Welcome! I'm sure someone close to you must have real Americaunnas, check the link in my siggy to see who's close to you.
    Currently works for me.
    Beaglady has them, she's north of HBG
    See...told ya she had them
    I IS NOT SHORT!!!!
    Depends on how long it's out for. I know lots of people put blankets on the bators to keep the temp steady...even if it does go out (happened to us during the NYD hatch, it often just slows down the hatch..mine took 3 additional days...and I prolly would've hatched more if I had this thing called patience....

5. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

I don't incubate, so this is just an opinion based on another animal baby technique I have used.... I would get some water bottles (like the 16oz size) and fill them with warm water (around same temp as your incubator is running) and place them into the bator to act as 'heaters' for if the power does go out. Between wrapping the bator in blankets and your 'hot water bottles' inside it should help hold the temp for at least a few extra hours. Hopefully you don't have to manually turn the eggs while the power is out because I wouldn't open the bator any more than is absolutely needed.

6. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Half of each, the rest to the bator. [​IMG]

Note to self: Leaves for chickens, NOT for ducks!

Salmon Favs are a rare breed & the farm supply stores don't carry rares. A lot of the hatcheries don't even have them, especially if you want good quality.

Just a couple banties in the bator.

Yup, she did.

I really need a truck. Anyone have a truck for sale really cheap or 1 to trade for a car [​IMG]

Just insulate them with blankets or towels as best you can & don't open them. Temp drops will usually just delay your hatch.

We don't call it short, we call it vertically challenged. [​IMG] Besides, keeps us from having to duck when going in the coop. [​IMG]

7. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    The bottles for heat sinks is a good idea if you have room. I run my bators crammed full most of the time. During power outage, DO NOT TURN. You don't want to open the bator because it will let all of your heat out.

8. missydcpc

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    No, I really am not short...I'm 5*9. I'm almost as tall as Chad....it's the rest of you who drank coffee as infants.

9. missydcpc

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Ok, off to peel wallpaper....:/

10. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Now there's a comment that makes me almost glad I am at work today!!! Hate that!!! (come to think of it, I don't much like painting either... I guess I am decoratively challenged! [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by