1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Welcome!! Glad to have another Western Pennsylvanian on board! You can give Missy your zip code and she will add you to the Pa map (which can be viewed at the link at the bottom of Missy's signature, and a few other folks have the link in their siggy also)

There are a few other folks within a short distance of you who post on here. And many of the folks on here have chicks and even adult chickens for sale of many, many different breeds, so you may find what you want through here if you don't find it at the feed store!

Congrats on getting your Mom to agree to expanding your flock [​IMG]
    Have fun and look forward to hearing more from you!!

2. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    I'm still up for having a PA!! Unite!! Swap and Party here at my house. Does June 22nd seems to be a good day for those interested? It's cool if somebody wants to organize an "incubator building workshop" sometime during that day, I just don't have any experience in that area!!

3. rinlareine

rinlareine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    Apollo, PA
    Thank you! :)
    I'm hunting for Salmon Faverolles in the area, since no hatchery seems to have them right now. What's up with that!
    Also probably going to go to the Uniontown Poultry Show in a couple weeks to see if they have any, and maybe some other kinds too.

4. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

You may want to check with SilkieSensations... she may have the Salmons.... I think someone further east has them too, but can't remember. The folks read through the posts though when they come on, so someone else will probably chip in. Silkie is down toward Wheeling, so not too far away from you depending on what area of Pittsburgh you are from.

5. rinlareine

Apr 1, 2013
    Apollo, PA
    Yeah, I asked Silkie, but she only has bantams of those hatching in a couple weeks and I need large fowl for this flock. [​IMG]
    Fingers crossed somebody else is hatching a few soon.

6. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Can you hatch your own? I have large fowl Salmon Faverolle eggs.

7. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania

I guess I am not totally banned after all! I couldn't post or message for a couple days, though.

I am thrilled you are happy with the Ameraucanas, Heather!
    I put 8 OEs and 10 Ams in lockdown two nights ago and so far 15 of the 18 total little buggers hatched! I still have another 3 dozen incubating. I will see what I have in June and decide if they stay or go to the MD swap. A lot of the bantam Ams I hatched 3wks ago look single bearded & clean faced. I am not thrilled about that.

Other than the OEs and Ams, I have at least 2 chocolate bantam Orps 3 Mille Fleur bantam Cochins hatched, too! I have another I can't tell if it's a Cochin or an Orp. One of the duck eggs has a pip as well. I am actually quite thrilled! This is the first good setting I have had since I got this incubator. Out of 80 eggs set, I would put less than 10 into lockdown. I haven't touched the setting, but I am running higher humidity now (40-50% 1-18 days and 67-74% 19-21).

8. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

Banned? What?!?!

9. rinlareine

Apr 1, 2013
    Apollo, PA
    I don't think so. I've never tried before, so I don't have any of the necessary supplies.

10. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    LOL, nothing. I am not going to risk really getting banned. Two days of no BYC was the worst two days of my life.
    BTW, I am still going to the York show! I'll have my BYC name tag on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by