Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. motherhen71185

motherhen71185 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Southern York County, PA
    OK, a sunday works for me. We just have to see if it works for our mentor and any one else who wants to join. :)

Lot's of big plans this weekend! - Building the run, building a hoop coop for quarentine/ grow out (i am sure this will just become a second coop filled with chickens thanks to beaglady and gardeningmam) [​IMG]

I want to convert the coop over to sand and get rid of the stinky wood shavings. So... How deep do i make it? I have an 8x10 coop. And what kind do i get?

2. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    depends on your postoffice, i know i get good hatches from eggs out of calif. and states out that way but from the east coast, they all are clear, just had a good hatch from washington state, but if i get any eggs from the carolinas or maryland, like i said, always clear, not one is fertile[​IMG]

3. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    [​IMG]

4. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

Ehh,, am too tired to skim 72 posts... anything good happen? Lol.... Cleaned A LOT of leaves today.... 2 leaf vac rounds... Veryy tired. ha.

5. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa

Hi and welcome from Monroe county. :D

6. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

I throw leaves in the coop for the girls to play with during the winter....

7. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Welcome!! You are in the right place if you have any questions... lots of traffic on this thread so be prepared to take notes till you get to know us! LOL
    Sweet! Looks like a great set up!
    We did sand in our coop, actually a mix of sand and chain saw 'dust'/chips. The sawdust was just to aid in moisture absorbing until the sand dried out completely though. We got the 'construction grade' sand which our local supplier keeps inside, so it wasn't soaked. The construction grade is just a bit coarser, play sand would also work but is a bit more money.
    We put in about 2" of sand, and mixed in about a kitchen garbage bag worth of sawdust to help fluff it up. We sift it about every other week using a snow shovel that we cut out the center of and replaced it with 1/4" mesh. It is a dusty job but only takes about an hour or so (about a 10x12 area). Each cleaning I usually would add about 15lb of sand back in to replace what was taken out. Haven't had to add sawdust for past 2 months because the coop is so dry it doesn't need any moisture absorbed!
    OMG, if I gathered up all of our leaves right now and put into the coop we wouldn't be able to find our birds for a week! Love having all of the shade in the heat of summer but am so sick of dealing with leaves!!!

8. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa

Laugh as you may you 2 just know I am the smart one!!! Hehehe I don't get run over with chicks :p hehehehe it is my way of controlling myself! And no I haven't bought any eggs but from what I see not all eggs would be good anyway hehehe see I'm still on top :p plus I have broody hens and too many that I don't know what to do with!!

Mine mulch up the leaves I put in within like 3 days it is crazy I'm constantly adding leaves and they keep demolishing them! But they love love love them they get so excited when they see me coming with leaves but I think that's because I also add mealworms!! Can we say spoiled?

9. fawngrovechad

fawngrovechad Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2012
    PA in USA
    How's the little hurt chickie?

10. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    ME ME ME! (now to figure out how to get it that far [​IMG])

The CL are 3 week old chicks & eggs in the bator due the 12th. I can sell some extra chicks but need to keep some for my breeders for next year. These will be my 1st.

Now I know what to do with the 7 tons of leaves from all the trees on my little acre+.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by