Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I apparently missed something!!! Your neighbors stole your ducks? Or killed your ducks? I'm lost!
th.gif
They haven't stole my ducks or killed them (yet!). But they are going after the canadian geese like A******S and I can't take it!
But I can't leave my ducks out when I go to work because I fear he will throw posion or something in their pen or even shoot them! Years ago when my Dad had a duck they shot it (they are the ONLY ones right next door and the duck wound up dead with a BB in it.. they threw it in the dog pen to look like the dogs killed it..). They throw trash over the bank down the yard and don't care.. Like tarps, their rabbit feed bags (50lbs) their COUCH anything he can manage to get down there he dumps!!

Thats the cleaner area.. his garden fence.. his tarps... his white fence posts... WHICH he went and tried burning the paint off of them to make them not look like his... I can't take living next to such idiots!

We have a 4x6 coop and a 13x16 run. The girls are 6weeks old and there are only 4 out there. Lol!
If they have a nest box to snuggle together in they will be fine
thumbsup.gif

I worry a lot. I am new to all of this and would hate to harm them because I did something stupid.
They are a lot tougher than you think
wink.png

Argh!!!! My neighbor is at it AGAIN!
he.gif

Has any one here ever have to fight their local Township to keep their animals?? I seriously can NOT take his antics anymore!!!!! I need some advice on what I should do next with keeping my ducks and not having to live with my neighbor doing what ever he pleases!!. He went shooting the geese (wild Canadian!!!) and chasing them with a metal rake! I need to get my ducks definitely allowed where I am so I can finally report him for all the illegal things he is doing! I am starting to suffer from extreme stress because of his BS! Can anyone help me !!
You need to check to see exactly what your local ordinance says about poultry & waterfowl. If you are in compliance then no one can make you get rid of them unless they can prove you are neglecting or mistreating them. I had a couple neighbors try that at my old house. They told them I had my coop too close to the house & birds in the house. I invited the health inspector to come measure the distance from my house to the coops & informed him the only birds in the house were chicks under 4 weeks old in a brooder & an injured bird that the vet advised me to bring in for treatment. My coops passed inspection & they never even asked to see inside the house. Any calls they got after that they ignored.

I am really sorry you are having problems.
I am sorry for all the problems people are having this past week!
My story on migraines is this: I have had them since I was a toddler. To this day, I don't know if I have nightmares because of a migraine, or a migraine because of a nightmare. For all the nightmares I have, I am going with the migraine causes the nightmares that night.
One sister has been diagnosed as having seizures. Apparently she has been having them her whole life. When asked about family history of migraines, she mentioned me. The doctor asked what prescription I had been given for them. He about fell over when my sister said that my headaches never were a cause for concern for my parents.
My last one was last month. The dog still needed to go out, wanted to play, I had to take care of the chickens, cook and clean. I keep trash cans in most rooms. They came in handy.
sickbyc.gif

Congrats on the new chicks and kids!!
And, Sally. I know it is hard. Allow 24 hours, then put them in the freezer for a while. Cry if you want. Let the kids come and go as they want. They really did have a better life than the stuff we buy in the store.
My six new GLW and three White Rocks.
love.gif

I hate to say it but some parents just aren't real observant when it comes to their children's health. If it doesn't bother the parent then there's nothing wrong with the kid. I was lucky & had parents that at least called my aunt or grandmother (both nurses) to tell them symptoms & see if it was something they should be concerned about. I in turn did the same (called the same aunt & grandmother, even at 2am) if there was a concern with 1 of my kids' health & I needed advice. I got past the point where I called for every fever or cut (eventually) and learned to judge what I could deal with at home & what needed professional assistance. I often surprise nurses & doctors both with my knowledge of the medical field. I just laugh & tell them half my family has been in the medical field for over 50 years.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...esults-in-nearly-15000-in-fines-93439854.html

"READING, Pa., May 11 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Pennsylvania Game Commission officials today announced that Roy Gordon Lovell , 74, of Glen Rock pled guilty to one count of the unlawful killing of a Canada goose and one count of false or fraudulent statements to an officer on April 28. The charges stemmed from an incident on April 20, in Codorus Township, York County.
"Although there is a lawful hunting season for the taking of Canada geese, the violation occurred during the closed season for hunting or taking this species," said Chad Eyler , Game Commission Wildlife Conservation Officer for southwestern York County. "Canada geese are protected by both state and federal law, and established hunting seasons must be followed."

Talk about not reviewing your article before publishing it. Check out this sentence:

"On Dec. 7, Lovell pled guilty to one count of unlawful taking and possession of a great blue heron in front of Judge Leppo."

Wow, he offed the great blue heron right in front of the judge!
cskotek, are you sure this isn't your neighbor?? Lord, killing geese and offing great blue heron. Some people just have nothing better to do!
Quote: You are smart, aren't you???
thumbsup.gif

If they have a nest box to snuggle together in they will be fine
thumbsup.gif

They are a lot tougher than you think
wink.png

You need to check to see exactly what your local ordinance says about poultry & waterfowl. If you are in compliance then no one can make you get rid of them unless they can prove you are neglecting or mistreating them. I had a couple neighbors try that at my old house. They told them I had my coop too close to the house & birds in the house. I invited the health inspector to come measure the distance from my house to the coops & informed him the only birds in the house were chicks under 4 weeks old in a brooder & an injured bird that the vet advised me to bring in for treatment. My coops passed inspection & they never even asked to see inside the house. Any calls they got after that they ignored.

I hate to say it but some parents just aren't real observant when it comes to their children's health. If it doesn't bother the parent then there's nothing wrong with the kid. I was lucky & had parents that at least called my aunt or grandmother (both nurses) to tell them symptoms & see if it was something they should be concerned about. I in turn did the same (called the same aunt & grandmother, even at 2am) if there was a concern with 1 of my kids' health & I needed advice. I got past the point where I called for every fever or cut (eventually) and learned to judge what I could deal with at home & what needed professional assistance. I often surprise nurses & doctors both with my knowledge of the medical field. I just laugh & tell them half my family has been in the medical field for over 50 years.
I can't find the ordinances anywhere! And I don't exactly want to show up at the TWP building... Do I have to go to their building to get the ordinances? I know I called and asked if ducks are allowed.. I got a "no" and hung up on .... *sigh....* I know in the city of hazleton they allow ducks for as long as you have so much room per bird.. and I am on 5 acres here....

Page 95 of that PDF. You need to figure out what zoning district you are in.

"802.15 COOPS
Structures for the rearing and housing of avian animals and the housing of said animals
used for sport, hobby or pleasure are permitted in all zoning districts except Residential
Districts provided they are 200 feet from any residential district boundary and conform to
the rules, regulations and by-laws of such sporting organizations as the
American Pigeon Racing Union, Eastern Fantail Club, Eastern Chinese Owl
Club or other similar organizations.
Coops may be permitted in Residential Districts only as a Special Exception use with the
approval of the Zoning Hearing Board."

It wouldn't surprise me that you would need zoning approval. Is your coop area within 200 feet of a property line?

Greetings from Lackawanna County- I sell brown eggs to pay my feed costs- a few peafowl (raised 5 chicks last years), less than 40 chickens (not by much though), and, as of yesterday two goats. As of today - the numbers remain the same other than the goats- Daisy kidded last night- so now there are three goats (though one is a wee bit smaller than the other two.) had my birthing supplies all ready, was checking on her diligently even though it wasn't quite time yet according to my math (ah, a PSU education put to waste again). I finished an area to seperate her to give birth but hadn't even moved her into it yet. So I go up to feed them and I look at Buddy- his rumin's a bit empty- I then look at Daisy and the same- so I'm thinking I didn't feed them enough yesterday and am thinking in my head about what they ate yesterday as I go out in the hen yard and put feed in all the feeders. I turn around and standing alone outside against the side of the barn is a beautiful little kid. I scoop him up and take him inside and wrap him in blankets and deposit him on our 10 year olds lap to keep warm- seems pretty good though and settles in. I got momma settled into her own space and we brought the new addition to her- she smelled him up head to toe and settled in a short time later I watched him nursing and left them to settle in. Leading up to this I was so worried about a difficult pregnancy, helping the kid get colosterum if it wouldn't nurse right away, getting mom to bond with her kid, etc, BUT based on the condition of the little buckling I think she birthed fine, bonded fine, nursed fine, and cared for and protected the little fella fine- nice to meet you all- I've met a few BYC folks from PA and NJ- here and there over the years- all pretty decent folks. Regards, Keystonepaul
frow.gif
Hi and welcome from Central pa!!-Clinton co.. I'm alittle late on this, but it's better than never...congrats on the new addition, enjoy. Things do have a way of working them selves out..don't they?!

What a busy week! I attended PSU's poultry tech class Wednesday, picked up 20 Cornish Rocks chicks to replenish the freezer, put 8 fertile Holland eggs under my broody Australorp, then spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday being certified to run Cub Scout day camps nationwide...I am happily exhausted. How was your week?

You were busy. Where are the Holland eggs from?! Just curious, might want some!:D

Looks like all poultry is prohibited unless you are zoned C-1 for agricultural use.
Well, a guy just recieved a variance to continue his selling of all sorts of animals and he has less then an acre and he lives in a double house.. his coops are deplorable... Its bad.. but yet he is allowed :/ My Mom said that when we where "told on" when we had chickens we needed to pay 250 fr a special meeting and have people MANY people come in who like the chickens.. she didnt do it though.. I will for my ducks how ever. I will read that link.

Thanks! I couldn't find this anywhere!
Page 95 of that PDF. You need to figure out what zoning district you are in.

"802.15 COOPS
Structures for the rearing and housing of avian animals and the housing of said animals
used for sport, hobby or pleasure are permitted in all zoning districts except Residential
Districts provided they are 200 feet from any residential district boundary and conform to
the rules, regulations and by-laws of such sporting organizations as the
American Pigeon Racing Union, Eastern Fantail Club, Eastern Chinese Owl
Club or other similar organizations.
Coops may be permitted in Residential Districts only as a Special Exception use with the
approval of the Zoning Hearing Board."

It wouldn't surprise me that you would need zoning approval. Is your coop area within 200 feet of a property line?
Pretty postivive they are far enough.. the 2nd one will be.. unsure about the 1st.. I will have to go out and measure. If not... we will move it!

Back
Top Bottom