Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I've been pretty accurate with feather sexing so far, give or take a few birds. HOWEVER, I thought I was positive on the Barnevelders, because the wings were so distinctly different. Ummm...2 that I was certain were pullets, are clearly NOT, and 1 I was certain was a roo is showing no signs of being one aside from extremely slow feathering, 2 I'm pretty certain are pullets. I wonder what Kiomey ended up with, as she was a victim of my "feather sexing" too? Sorry Kiomey
hide.gif
. BTW they say with Barnies that white chest is boy, and brown chest is girl, that was not correct either! Only 1 out of 10 had a white chest.
Well, the problem was this: Let me see if I can explain how she told me to do it......OK...when they get their wing feathers, pull the wing out. If the feathers are all the same length (make a nice straight wing curve = girl. And if you have a line of long feathers and then the feathers towards the body are much shorter= boy.
THAT IS NOTHING LIKE WHAT I JUST WATCHED ON SEVERAL VIDEOS ABOUT SEXING NEW BABIES!!!
Perhaps I need to offer one more
smack.gif
.....this time directed at myself for not looking it up before and just going by what the girl said.

So jealous of all of you people hatching, buying and living with ducks! Hubby says no.... Not this year. So please, keep those pictures coming! I have to enjoy yours for at least another year.

I couldn't help but laugh at this one! I catch my son explaining it all wrong to people too. And when they question me about it, I throw him right under the bus. 'He told you What?!'

Only one sure fire way to sex birds, If it lays an egg it's a pullet, if it crows, it's a cockerel...probably.
I'm going to try what I saw with the new babies in the incubator when they can come out and move to the brooder. I'll see how that works then.
It kind of started when I was telling the ones there about how Baby Si is doing (they were happy someone took him/her), and they said Si should be a pullet. I told them if I go by what their associate told me, he isn't. So, I checked all my banties again, and saw how wrong it was........then looked it up online, and saw how I was SUPPOSED to do it.........DERP!!! I feel so dumb!

How late is too late for feather sexing? I meant to do mine but I got so busy with school and taking care of our other animals I never got around to it. I would still like to try, though.

Quote: That may be, but ya know (in my opinion) most of the best music is pre 1990, and your gen got to truly live some of the greatest decades in the last century. Most importantly us whipper snappers need your experience and advice. Plus as someone else said, and my one Aunt swears, you're only 29 with experience. I'm sticking with that until my son hits 29.
big_smile.png

Hello, fellow Pennsylvanians!
Hello
frow.gif

K- so, i just figured something out.......
when buying the bantam chicks to keep Si company, the girl working there "taught me" how to do feather-sexing. Well, long story short, all my males kept turning into females, so i just looked up feather sexing on the net, and WHATEVER SHE THOUGHT SHE TAUGHT ME WAS COMPLETELY NOT FEATHER SEXING.....
smack.gif
Feather sexing is actually genetic
smile.png
It's usually only found a a couple strains of commercial leghorns and cornish x, so having it occur in other breeds is close to zero. The gene that makes feather sexing possible is just not there. If feather sexing exsisted for all breeds of chickens, imagine how easy ordering from a hatchery would be!

I think my one EE is a Roo...
hit.gif
He is SO sweet to. so out of 13 chickens i have 3 roos. A bit much I would say. I am Keeping the BCM boy. He is GORGEOUS!! and Nicelly featherd feet too, he could be a possible SQ. And i HAVE to keep our SS that turned out to be a roo. He is a sweety and GORGEOUS as well and is my DD favorite. So I guess i will let the EE roo get a little bigger to make sure he IS a he and then will have to find him a good home. Explained this to DD and she is NOT happy. Maybe getting some new chicks will help her (me) feel better. LOL

Any one have an empty bator i could borrow? lol

Last edited:
Pheasants?! Cool! I was just looking at a thread with pheasant pens.

I've been motivated by everyone's coop pictures, so I'm building a small grow out coop with run, I set the first screw yesterday -hope I get the dang thing finished by Halloween. DH, talented man that he is, does NOT do coops.
sad.png

ONE of Sara's duckies hatched! Still wet, one other one pipped so I don't want to open the bator.
Woo!
We are startng my second duck pen this week! It will be the 3rd pen overall though. Lol. I can't wait to have a pen to put my ducks in! 28ft long (maybe bigger/smaller) by 16 feet wide and 8-10 feet tall. It will be sub divided then for my shows/ regs/ extra males Then the front portion of it will be for the lawn mower/ quads/ leaf vac :D

Back
Top Bottom