Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Quote:
lau.gif

Wingstone,

Here's the link to the applicable poultry processing rules. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/rdad/fsisnotices/poultry_slaughter_exemption_0406.pdf
You might need some tweaking of labels or such, but you ARE allowed to process and sell under the 1000 bird exemption.

The regs for egg sales recently changed. I posted on the PASA yahoo group to look for the updates. Someone there will be able to point me to the latest info. I'll let you know.

Wingstone,

Here's the link to the applicable poultry processing rules. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/rdad/fsisnotices/poultry_slaughter_exemption_0406.pdf
You might need some tweaking of labels or such, but you ARE allowed to process and sell under the 1000 bird exemption.

The regs for egg sales recently changed. I posted on the PASA yahoo group to look for the updates. Someone there will be able to point me to the latest info. I'll let you know.
Thanks, I went and skimmed over that, will have to read in detail later....but sounds like hubby's idea of selling eggs at market and then handing out business cards for meat will be legal,,,I actually prefer the meat customer come to the farm for pick up.....I know I am more at ease when I see where my food comes from..

does anyone know what testing and paperwork I would have to have to sell eggs at a local sat flea market....this is a local garden type market that runs all summer long on saturdays, alot of the elderly go to it, i think it would be a good market to hit for egg sales...
anyone know about meat sales, I was told year's ago that there's a different set of rules as far as you taking the meat off the farm and the consumr coming to you...

I tried looking on things like usda sites, but not understood they didn't dummy it down enough for rednecks like me.
Do you have a local 4H person you could contact? They should know the name of a local Ag Extension person to call... that person should have the answers since they are supposed to deal with the farms, big and small, in their area.
Local Fair/farmshow folks may know also for same reason.
Wingstone,

Good info. I never realized there was an exemption for small numbers....

wow !!!! I can not believe how quiet my basement wall is today.......this would be my wall of brooders, not one bird in there right now,,,,,,,now before everyone offers,,,,,NO, NO, AND NO......I still need to get to Eli
s to pick up the 2 ducks. hopefully no later than sat if work schedule allows

so you see i will have atleast those 2 ducks in there.....

just seems weird to be spring and have no chicks in the house......maybe I will let the broodies have some eggs......

Ive looked but they really contradict them selves in the way they word things,,,seems these things are set up for the large production houses......:oops:  not sure I want to push it with talking to them, until I find out just how legal I am at the moment :oops:

You can have the noisy bunch I have downstairs at the moment....I swear I may just kill them all for spite..I've NEVER had a bunch that was noisy just to be noisy.

Wingstone,

The regs for egg sales recently changed. I posted on the PASA yahoo group to look for the updates. Someone there will be able to point me to the latest info.  I'll let you know.

Link to the PASA group please? DH probably had that info in our packet...but of course didn't give it to me!

Do you have a local 4H person you could contact?  They should know the name of a local Ag Extension person to call... that person should have the answers since they are supposed to deal with the farms, big and small, in their area.
Local Fair/farmshow folks may know also for same reason.
Good info.  I never realized there was an exemption for small numbers....

:lau I'm sorry I almost spit out my juice reading that. I called our Ag Extension. And was told by our Ag officer that the ONLY person in the state who handles poultry is the Lancaster Ag officer. If I wanted to know what native plants I should plant, she'd gladly talk to me, but "noone" in Cumberland County has chickens, they're dirty things.

You can have the noisy bunch I have downstairs at the moment....I swear I may just kill them all for spite..I've NEVER had a bunch that was noisy just to be noisy.
Link to the PASA group please? DH probably had that info in our packet...but of course didn't give it to me!
lau.gif
I'm sorry I almost spit out my juice reading that. I called our Ag Extension. And was told by our Ag officer that the ONLY person in the state who handles poultry is the Lancaster Ag officer. If I wanted to know what native plants I should plant, she'd gladly talk to me, but "noone" in Cumberland County has chickens, they're dirty things.
Are you in Cumberland County?

Back
Top Bottom