Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I posted this elsewhere but I thought maybe someone here could help:

I'm a first timer using a homemade incubator. Humidity has been steady throughout (until today) but had a few temperature issues (dropped to 92 overnight one night. Not sure how long it was like that). I'm also using shipped eggs and a few of my own.

On day 20 one chick hatched at 7am with no problems. I was surprised how clean the incubator was and the chick was very active. The second chick hatched around 10 pm and had some of the yolk sac still hanging on. At some point in the middle of the night the third chick hatched. There is blood all over the incubator and a large sac hanging on to the chick. It has been at least 6 hrs since it hatched. The chick seems more active but the sac is still there and is dried onto the chicks butt and legs. The humidity did drop to 52. I had to open it this morning (day 21) to add water. There are still 5 eggs left that haven't pipped. I'm praying I didn't kill them by opening the lid. So here are my questions:

How long can I keep the chicks in the incubator since the hatch seems staggered?

Is it normal for there to be blood when a chick hatches?

Should I wash the chick that is covered in dried blood and remove the dried up sac?

Thanks so much. I am already thinking of changes I am going to make to the incubator for future hatches....like adding a straw feature to add water without opening the lid. This experience has been wonderful but stressful at the same time!!!

I posted this elsewhere but I thought maybe someone here could help:

I'm a first timer using a homemade incubator. Humidity has been steady throughout (until today) but had a few temperature issues (dropped to 92 overnight one night. Not sure how long it was like that). I'm also using shipped eggs and a few of my own.

On day 20 one chick hatched at 7am with no problems. I was surprised how clean the incubator was and the chick was very active. The second chick hatched around 10 pm and had some of the yolk sac still hanging on. At some point in the middle of the night the third chick hatched. There is blood all over the incubator and a large sac hanging on to the chick. It has been at least 6 hrs since it hatched. The chick seems more active but the sac is still there and is dried onto the chicks butt and legs. The humidity did drop to 52. I had to open it this morning (day 21) to add water. There are still 5 eggs left that haven't pipped. I'm praying I didn't kill them by opening the lid. So here are my questions:

How long can I keep the chicks in the incubator since the hatch seems staggered?

Is it normal for there to be blood when a chick hatches?

Should I wash the chick that is covered in dried blood and remove the dried up sac?

Thanks so much. I am already thinking of changes I am going to make to the incubator for future hatches....like adding a straw feature to add water without opening the lid. This experience has been wonderful but stressful at the same time!!!

i am running late for an appointment, so very quickly: better a temperature drop, than a temperature spike, let the chick re absorb the yolk, don't remove it. And look at member SallySunshine's profile, she has written many articles about hatching and has covered these issues. Oh, also, no beating yourself up for opening the bator. Sometimes a hen hops off her eggs. Don't sweat it.

So I peacked at some of the eggs in the bator last night. Only day 3. LOL I could see some veining!!! YAY!!!!
celebrate.gif

T
i am running late for an appointment, so very quickly: better a temperature drop, than a temperature spike, let the chick re absorb the yolk, don't remove it. And look at member SallySunshine's profile, she has written many articles about hatching and has covered these issues. Oh, also, no beating yourself up for opening the bator. Sometimes a hen hops off her eggs. Don't sweat it.

Thank you! The chick seems ok just all matted down with dried blood. Still not as active as tHe other two

Sorry the little one hit enter on my iPad. I have another one getting ready to hatch. Still nothing on the other 4.

I am all about helping. I have tried several baby birds. They end up dieing. So I would mix some vinegar and baking soda. That is a nice painless way to go. If you need farther instructions, you can look it up on the internet for the amounts and container size.
What does the vinegar & Baking Soda do?(besides putting it down, what is it doing?) I ended up finding a wild life place called ARCH? They put the it down :( poor thing.. it's legs where just dangling...

Back
Top Bottom