1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hello fellow PA folks! [​IMG] I'm dealing with bumblefoot with one of my hens. Does anyone know of a vet in Central PA who will treat chickens or at least give advice about treatment/antibiotics? I haven't been able to find a vet willing to help. I'm trying to treat myself but would like to have a back-up plan in case my treatment doesn't work. Thanks, all. BTW I also have rooster who needs a new home soon. I couldn't hlep but notice all of the rooster related posts. LOL

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:Hello! I'm in York County and I'm sorry I don't know of any vets for you. There are a lot of threads in The Emergencies Section on treating Bumblefoot which you may find useful.

I had a lot of success this summer in relocating 12 young spare roosters on Craig's List. I gave away 5 which will probably be eaten and sold 4 which I know were going to be eaten, but I also sold 3 four month old pure Ameraucana roosters which will all be kept as flocks roos.

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Good morning, animalover [​IMG] I'm just north of Harrisburg in Duncannon, Perry County. Middletown is not far at all. It would be reassuring to know I have a back-up plan. I lost a cockatiel to bumblefoot many years ago, before I knew anything about bumblefoot. It had progressed too far by the time I noticed there was a problem. Thank you very much for the lead!

4. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Hello Neighbors! [​IMG] I take my English Bulldog to a vet in Williamsport, Dr. Knoebel Sr. and when I had called to ask if he sees chickens, I was told he used to see them and they were sure if I have any questions about them, he could help. He is a good guy and does not make me run there all the time for visits and will send me meds through the mail if I need them for the dogs. He is the only one that figured out what was wrong with my bulldog after I spent tons of money & went through numerous local vets! I have not had a need to take any of my chickens to the vet yet but if I do, I will let you know how they do up there. I do have to take the dogs for their check up soon so I will talk to him them.

5. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    South Central here... me and SunAngel are practically neighbors [​IMG]

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Thank you sgtmom52 and NewToFarming for your responses, the vet name in Williamsport and for your advice. My Tricide-Neo came today and I used it for the first time. I can't wait to unwrap my hen's foot tomorrow to see if it made a difference (I think I really need to be more patient). I feel better that I have 2 vet names to try in case it doesn't help. Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. It's nice to have such helpful neighbors [​IMG]

7. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Sighted a mature Bald Eagle less than a mile from our house while on this evening's drive. He was indeed majestic. Sure hope he doesn't develop a taste for chicken.

8. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Telford, Montgomery County

9. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    Quote:Hey RhodeIslandRedFan!
    Just wanted to say hi neighbor....I'm in Duncannon also [​IMG] . I don't have chickens yet since we just moved to PA last year I had to sell mine. But, hopefully after winter I'll have a new coop built and get some new chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by