Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I'm gonna try to find one. What I have been doing is letting them into the coop during the day and bringing them in at night but I can only imagine that this is incredibly stressful for them. I have 14 chicks.

I use reptile bulbs. They don't make 100 watt anymore, and 75 is the next to go (home use). The reptile bulbs are exempt from the laws. I also put it on a dimmer so I can control the temp better. I got a porcelain coated fixture that has the dimmer built in right on the cord. I am not an electrician or building smart at all, so it was a good alternative for me, and its mobile!

My female guinea went missing the beginning of the week. I know she isn't broody because she just came off the nest. All the eggs were cracked but no babies. :( Yesterday I found some big paw prints around my coops in the mud. I think they are mountain lion tracks. There were no claw marks like a canine would leave, just toe prints. They are around 4 inches by 3 1/2 inches. I took pictures but they are hard to see in the picture and my other guineas were running on them since I was trying to look at the prints.

My female guinea went missing the beginning of the week. I know she isn't broody because she just came off the nest. All the eggs were cracked but no babies. :( Yesterday I found some big paw prints around my coops in the mud. I think they are mountain lion tracks. There were no claw marks like a canine would leave, just toe prints. They are around 4 inches by 3 1/2 inches. I took pictures but they are hard to see in the picture and my other guineas were running on them since I was trying to look at the prints.

Whatever it is it's BIG! Can you borrow that trail cam again? Sorry bout your girl going missing
hugs.gif

Scary when you see that huh - the paw prints along our fence line and in the field in oklahoma were every so slightly bigger than them - played havoc with my nerves knowing there was something so big SO close to home. I hope your girl comes back!
hugs.gif

I use reptile bulbs. They don't make 100 watt anymore, and 75 is the next to go (home use). The reptile bulbs are exempt from the laws. I also put it on a dimmer so I can control the temp better. I got a porcelain coated fixture that has the dimmer built in right on the cord. I am not an electrician or building smart at all, so it was a good alternative for me, and its mobile!
I have a 65 W that I will try out today. If it doesn't get them warm enough back in they go. And I do have a thermometer in the coop, but I have a weird feeling it may not be accurate

look like coon tracks ??

but I swear I see a mans head in that image!! lol

Barbiegirl, can you make a plaster cast of that pawprint? We did that once with a bear print, and have gotten lots of entertainment and conversation from it since then.

To the person who was asking about keeping bees, I don't have any this year, but have for years. Generally, honeybees are pretty gentle, and don't sting unless you step on them. They are sometimes a bit crabbier during time when there's no nectar source, but as long as you put the hive away from places where you walk into their flight path, and don't run a stinky lawnmower right in front of the hive, you should be fine.

The prints are still there but my guineas have stepped in them. I don't know how to make a plaster cast :( would have tried to make one. It's not a raccoon track. Not a hand print. We have a few raccoons and seen their prints. It's scary because it is less than a foot away from my silkie run. Don't think I'm mountain lion proof. Sally I see the face too, ow that you said something :/ I gotta get the trail cam down there and see what's going on. I really don't want s\to see a lion that close to my chickies :( If we get video of it I will see if I can post it.

Back
Top Bottom