Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

What do you guys think of four week old out in the coop in this weather with no heat lamp? It gets to a low of 66 at night. I would give them the lamp but the coop is about 20 sq ft and I am scared that it will get WAY too hot with a 250 watt brooder bulb

What do you guys think of four week old out in the coop in this weather with no heat lamp? It gets to a low of 66 at night. I would give them the lamp but the coop is about 20 sq ft and I am scared that it will get WAY too hot with a 250 watt brooder bulb

Do you have a 100 or 75 watt bulb? How many do you have out there that are 4 weeks old. They should be okay if they are in a huddle. If there is only a couple of them you might want to put a light on them, or bring them in overnight. Its supposed to get 51 tonight where I am.

Do you have a 100 or 75 watt bulb? How many do you have out there that are 4 weeks old. They should be okay if they are in a huddle. If there is only a couple of them you might want to put a light on them, or bring them in overnight. Its supposed to get 51 tonight where I am.
Reading about the temps has given me the idea to put a thermometer in the coop. I often go out to check on them at night, and usually let them out first thing in the morning. Now I'm wondering what the temp is in there. I know it's noticeably warmer than outside, but just not sure how much...
It's supposed to get down in the 40's here tonight, so I closed the window on the door more than normal.

I have a question, are frizzles more cold sensitive than smooth feathered birds? Frodo, the new serama cockerel, is shivering on my shoulder while Galadriel is not.

The ones that tagged us were less than an inch long. I call them hornets due to the aggressiveness, and I've only ever dealt with hornets and wasps that have been that aggressive. I honestly am not sure what they are.
Yellow jackets often nest in the ground and are extremely aggressive... nasty critters... and are only 3/4 to an inch or so long. I was attacked by a ground hive when I was about 8 yrs old. My Dad caught me running away from the swarm and rolled me around in a nearby mud puddle to get the bees off of me and took me to the house where my mom then gave me an ice cold bath. I think I hated the bath almost as much as all of the stings but I guess it worked because my I didn't get sick really even though I had a lot of stings.
Reading about the temps has given me the idea to put a thermometer in the coop. I often go out to check on them at night, and usually let them out first thing in the morning. Now I'm wondering what the temp is in there. I know it's noticeably warmer than outside, but just not sure how much...
It's supposed to get down in the 40's here tonight, so I closed the window on the door more than normal.

I have a question, are frizzles more cold sensitive than smooth feathered birds? Frodo, the new serama cockerel, is shivering on my shoulder while Galadriel is not.
We got an inexpensive indoor/outdoor thermometer and hung the sensor in the coop (not on a wall that gets direct sun or it won't be accurate) We have a wire divider in the coop that works well to keep it away from walls for a good reading. The display unit stays in the house where we can keep track of temps during hot or cold extreme weather.

Warning! Cuteness overload (and photo heavy) lol
Gin and Tonic (formerly Jim)

Tonic's Mohawk lol

For anyone who doubts my chickens type and have sent messages. I've had to send this to a few people on my email list so they'd stop picking on me for falling asleep while typing

Frodo the frizzle serama and his lady Galadriel

I will be honest, IDK that much about Serama. I think they originate in Indonesia? I think its tropical there. With that being said, most chickens can adapt pretty well. Their age has me concerned. I don't have any frizzles either! Sorry not much help with that subject. I have a thermometer in my barn. I never add heat, except for the metal water heaters in the Winter. I don't have really small bantams that come from a tropical/temperate climate either. The smallest I have are the bantam cochins.

I think the rule of thumb is start at 90 degrees when hatched and subtract 5 degrees for each week...when the lowest forcast temp is greater than the weeks old number you can move outside assuming there's a few birds that can huddle together....you could also get a reptile light(red) in 75,100,or 125 watts....hope this helps.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I'm gonna try to find one. What I have been doing is letting them into the coop during the day and bringing them in at night but I can only imagine that this is incredibly stressful for them. I have 14 chicks.

Back
Top Bottom