Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Woo hoo caught anothed raccoon last night!

I dropped my son off for football scrimmage in Scranton. Seen on Wnep that I81 was closed in both directions this morning due to tractor trailer accident spilling fuel. Then I see that Scranton will be closing roads for the President's tour. I hope the football rteam will be out of there by then but I doubt it. Don't know when my little boy will be back home. Katy, you seen my little boy
smile.png
YAY!! Another one down lol. I hope they have a good game! It's a fairly nice day for a scrimmage, so far. Hauling those feed bags should've been great strength training.
wink.png

finally caught up on here it only took me three days lol. I've been super busy with work and the farm. I am super excited because I got my incubator today!!! I can't wait to get it running. I got rid of all but one of my pearl guineas and am ratings some corals and purples instead. Glad everyone here is doing pretty well.

Woo hoo caught anothed raccoon last night!

I dropped my son off for football scrimmage in Scranton. Seen on Wnep that I81 was closed in both directions this morning due to tractor trailer accident spilling fuel. Then I see that Scranton will be closing roads for the President's tour. I hope the football rteam will be out of there by then but I doubt it. Don't know when my little boy will be back home. Katy, you seen my little boy :)[/quote

Hey we are up your way this week camping! !!

I really need your help on this one-
Can you clip the wings of a four week old chick? The babies are able to fly out of the run (4 foot tall fence!!) and by doing so they are putting themselves in danger.

I used bird netting over my run...it keeps them in and birds of prey out...but not much use for other predators. It's the kind for putting over fruit trees, was 14x45 feet long(!) and not expensive.

I used bird netting over my run...it keeps them in and birds of prey out...but not much use for other predators. It's the kind for putting over fruit trees, was 14x45 feet long(!) and not expensive.
I know about the netting, and it isn't about the price as much as the inconvenience. I want to be able to stand in the run. And not just that- the trees in the run would make it a whole ordeal to get the netting up. :{

Quote: You can clip wings any time after feathers begin to come in. Just be very careful not to hit the blood feathers or clip too short. Only do 1 side. Some birds can still get off the ground even with clipped wings so just be aware this may not solve the problem. I agree with the suggestion of netting. My runs are only 4ft high fence, but they are all covered with netting. I just put a support beam across the middle that is about 7-8 ft high & loop the netting over it so I can still walk into the run. Trees can pose a bit of a problem, but I have a friend who just cut all the low branches from the trees in her run & ran the netting around them.

I really need your help on this one-
Can you clip the wings of a four week old chick? The babies are able to fly out of the run (4 foot tall fence!!) and by doing so they are putting themselves in danger.

clip their wings(youtube has videos)....my run is 5'by20'...I have a tarp over a portion near the coop for rain...then use fishing line chris crossed over the rest. You have areas to stand up to work but the lines are close enough to discourage any hawk to fly through....also, I had an issue before with birds getting over my 4' fence....after clipping they no longer challenge the fence but have no troubles flying up on my patio table to steal scratch when left out....go figure....my two cents...

Just a thought....has anyone ever cooked up a caught racoon and fed it to their chooks???? Would seem kinda fitting.....and a good cost saving idea....
tongue.png

Some of my birds mainly the leghorn, can still fly short distance even with wing clippings

My grandmother used to eat raccoon, she skinned them and did some kind of smoke thing with them,,it was rather gamey but edible.........every mammal is edible, even human..

Back
Top Bottom