Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    We are close to State College.... :)

2. silver1313

silver1313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Gettysburg, PA
    mapquest says its about 3 hours lol well that isnt too bad .. if i knew my way around better.. maybe when DH has a weekend off he is from Pa so he knows his way around better

3. msladyhawke

msladyhawke Poultry Connoisseur

Oh, Sumatras are gorgeous! Are you breeding them?

4. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Not too bad of a drive. We get down to Harrisburg on occasion.... :)

5. silver1313

Jun 5, 2011
    Gettysburg, PA
    What color silkies do you have and are you getting rid of any ?

6. Missa Chickabee

Missa Chickabee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    I'm not living in PA (we started our marriage there,though) Just popping into your thread because someone who was recently transplanted into PA was asking today just when is the best time to hatch out new chicks. He is from the south where they want them big and strong for the hot summer months (opposite from us in MN) So, Pennsylvanians, if you'd like to give him your 2 cents, his thread is:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700930/northern-breeders-please-help#post_9514950

and this is what he/she wrote:

I am completely out of my element up here and need some guidance.

I have been in Oklahoma and the method there is to breed early in the winter to get them grown before the ridiculous heat waves that halt growth. Up here, the winter wasn't as harsh as it could have been, but I was constantly worried that the electricity would fail and I would wind up with about a hundred dead chicks downstairs.

What do you do?

Do you start hatching early in the fall (now?) and get them past the need to have heat supplied before the extreme winter hits? Or do you hatch in the spring (mid-April) through summer?

If you have a larger breed, that is more what I am after. The bantams seem to thrive no matter what I do to them.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate any advice or insight you can give with these issues. I would like to get a really good start on my next year's hatch and think I may need to go ahead and start hatching. Some will have to wait as my splash male is not nearly old enough to breed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700930/northern-breeders-please-help#post_9514950

Thanks for caring

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    LMAO! Thanks Missa Chickabee!

(I'm a she! ;) ) You beat me to it over here!

8. Missa Chickabee

Missa Chickabee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    Haha! Have a blast. Me, too! I'm learning something now about PA chicken-lovers. :)

9. silver1313

Jun 5, 2011
    Gettysburg, PA
    For what it is worth I put my two cents in lol

10. gardengal7279

gardengal7279 Out Of The Brooder

NEAR READING, PA - PLEASE HELP - FREE TO GOOD HOME

So I get a frantic call from my sister this morning who lives in Lebanon that someone dumped a bunch of baby chicks in the ally next to their house last night. She went to take the dog out this morning and he was playing around with something and that's how she found them (that chick is ok). Two were dead (probably because it was so cool last night) but there are 9 left. They look like they are only a couple of days old. They appear based on a lot of researching today that they are probably Barred Plymouth Rocks. One must have gotten attacked by something because it only has 2 toes left on one of it's feet but I cleaned it up and it appears that it will be ok, it is walking around and eating and drinking fine. I cannot keep them I already have 8 chickens. Please if someone is interested that can give them a good home let me know. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by