Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Can be a trait yep. Also, the way the feathering is coming in on the wings/or not. That one you are mentioning has the wing feathers coming in differently, 2 signs of possible boy, but crossing fingers for all pullets. If not, let me know. :)
P.S. Coop looks awesome!!!

Last edited:
The RUN is DONE. Well except for the paint. And the bird netting. Ok. Maybe it's not done.

Chicken wire from top to bottom, sandwiched between furring strips. Walls are braced in each corner, and this thing is quite stiff and solid.

And we got the window into the coop. It's looking pretty finished at this point, which is good because we'll need to be housing...

Many thanks to MsLadyhawke for these lovely girls.

...or are they girls? the tall one in the back of last pic doesn't seem to have a tail. I'm told that's a very rooster trait in Langshans. The other two look just like our previous langshan trio.
looks good, when can I move in....I will bring my crew with me....and good to see you got some young girls that will be ready to lay in the spring...congrats!!!

LizardCat, after that last post, I am almost ashamed to post pics of my coop progress. :oops: But in my defense, I have absolutely no building knowledge whatsoever! Anywho, here is the base with the legs:

Here is the base connected to the floor:

And here is one of the "house chickens" testing out the coop:

On a side note, Butternut Squash Lasagna in the oven for dinner, fingers crossed, first time I've made it! :fl

I know the purists may not like this, but I've been playing with my lemon cuckoo and BBS orpingtons. This girl is close to where I hope to end up. Lots of yellow/blues I don't really want hatch, too, unfortunately.

can't help....but playing with the lemon is a Led Zeppelin song from way, way back...I think their second album...

Some people are strange when it comes to eggs. My mom has 8 siblings and none of them will take my eggs. They all think my eggs have "diseases" and every time I get a little sick or something they always say "must be those eggs you've been eating". My mom was like this too until recently. Funny thing is they all eat eggs from a caged hen farm which are probably more disease prone lol
yeah, some folks are afraid my eggs may be fertile....some folks arn't happy if its not chef boy are dee.....

I am NO EXPERT

but my chickens have enjoyed melons when it was hot...........watermelon, cantelope,

they have enjoyed chopped up small apples and pears
cucumbers, raisins,

I mix rolled oats in their feed sometimes.

They loved their crumbles mixed with applesauce.............

they like grapes cut up smaller for them.............

they didn't really touch the shredded carrots I offered or even some broccoli.............although I have heard that some peoples chickens have enjoyed these items.....also tomatoes and green peppers ---they just seemed less interested............

they ate a bit of rice too..........

I heard that pumpkins are good for them too......................I have to find some lower cost pumpkins...............I think I read the seeds help as a natural dewormer...............

I offered scrambled eggs one day..........and they didn't seem interested...............

that's my report so far!
Lisa:

My chooks fight over tomatoes and didn't like kale until they got to pick on the plant in the garden...mine eat whatever one will eat...then they fight over it...I am still working on marigolds..

looks good.................don't worry this project will provide you with much new construction skills...........by necessity...........and I found I felt good to have this learning.

I would have liked to learn the skills in an easier fashion..............but so it goes.

You may need to stabilize your legs of the coop with triangular pieces.............and / or I got free cinder blocks which help for the base as well.

You are doing great and have time on your side!

stake-----------that is so funny....................My chickens also seem to follow the new food interests of another chicken and then fight over it too!

they are so jealous and then possessive! funny things they do.

Mine still have shown interest in marigolds..............

I do want to feed them raw pumpkins because I heard its good for them yet some pumpkins seem high priced............maybe after Halloween...

looks good.................don't worry this project will provide you with much new construction skills...........by necessity...........and I found I felt good to have this learning.

I would have liked to learn the skills in an easier fashion..............but so it goes.

You may need to stabilize your legs of the coop with triangular pieces.............and / or I got free cinder blocks which help for the base as well.

You  are doing great and have time on your side!

Thanks Lisa, that is a great idea about the stabilizing, I will try to do that!

Do you try to get chickens to eat marigolds to affect their color? If so, is it just color that is affected, or does it also increase the vitamin A int he meat and eggs?

Back
Top Bottom