Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    The second coop is next to the first. They have been seeing and hearing each other for over a month. There is only a short wall, and wire separating them. They have also been mellow in the past when introducing new chickens. The issue is more about food. MOST people agree that medicated feed should not be fed to hens if you are eating their eggs. I know it is SUPPOSED to be "alright" but I just don't think so (that made sense, right?).
    I am looking at waiting until I am out of the open bags (which will be about 3 weeks) and go with a non medicated for everyone. The chicks will also have another growth spurt or three by then.
    Are you saying that you disagree that 8 weeks is the right age to merge flocks? What age do you feel is best?

2. bruceh

bruceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    hanover pa
    how old are the older birds? if they have seen each other for that length of time than yes introduce them. keep a very careful eye on them for a while. just make sure there is no fighting. the young birds are small and have no real way of defending themselves against a big hen or rooster. an older bird can peck right through a young chicks head and body.

now for feed:
    i would not feed medicated feed to your layers. the eggs will be tainted with the meds. and will take sometime for the eggs to be free of the medication.

also i would not feed layer feed to young birds who are not laying or at point of lay. calcium build will build up in a young chicks body causing problems later on.

when mixing a young flock with a laying flock, use starter grower with oyster shell free feed on the side.

also use chick grit free feed on the side.

3. silver1313

silver1313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Gettysburg, PA
    Anyone near my area - gettysburg - that might be interested in purchasing a mallard hen trio ... ? Feel free to pm me if you are

4. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Motorcyclechick, sorry didn't realize you still had them on medicated feed. I only feed medicated for the first month. Then change to non-medicated. So no, you can't just mix the food. Perhaps you can find a way to connect the 2nd coop to the run from the first. That way they can all play together during the day, and go back to their coops at bedtime. I restrict my food in the coop to bedtime only..they forage during the day and get scraps from the kitchen (doing alot of canning right now..so tons of apple cores, tomatoe pieces etc) throughout the day.

5. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Like I said, I am not merging until the medicated feed is gone. I am one of the unfortunate few that has to go a looooooooong way for un-medicated feed. I prefer them to be off of it by now too. I will make the trip soon, and just do what I have in the past when adding new girls. I was just being indecisive. I really wanted to do it today, and have all the changes happen at once. I was hoping someone had a suggestion like yours. The funny thing is, you actually told me to do what I was going to do before I over thought everything, and posted. (got that? okay, i will continue now). I thought it was a bad idea, but if you think it is okay to let them rely on grass, bugs n' scraps for the day, I am happy to do so.
    Bruceh, I will still take steps to be cautious. I am glad you are treating me like a newbie to everything, rather than assuming I know things. We can't ever assume people know things when answering them. *** - u -me (ing) is always bad, so thanks![​IMG]

6. bruceh

bruceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    hanover pa
    @Motorcyclechick. you are welcome please feel free to p.m. at anytime. i hope all goes well. if you have a situation that does not go well ,let me know i will try to help.

7. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Well, the kids start school tomorrow. We have always home-schooled so this is our first experience with PS. Mine will be in 3rd, 1st, K and pre-K. I am one nervous and worked up mama tonight, but I am sure it will be even worse tomorrow. Think I better plan on cleaning coops to distract myself.....

8. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Good Luck Mama! Take a deep breath and send them off with confidence. You made this decision for a reason.

One more day on my own with the teenager, he goes back Wednesday.

9. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Back with a Chick Pic. All Twelve. I'm Loving the MsLadyHawk mixes. All four are very different from each other. It's funny that the BC Marans and the Black Orps look so similar that's it's hard to tell them apart without looking for the leg feathering.

[​IMG]

10. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa

Sooo cute!!! Makes me almost want more chicks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by