Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Well, our broody Rosie (10 month old black giant) is due to hatch her eggs Friday night the 14th since we gave her eggs late on Friday night 3 weeks ago.... we were out checking on the birds and Mindy kept trying to crawl into the broody box. (she was doing this today when I was out there cleaning also, and wouldn't let Dillon even sit near the area). Guess I should have figured it out from Mindy but I didn't....

DH picked up Rosie just enough to make sure no broken eggs and found a dry, fluffy, bright eyed ball of black fuzz!
jumpy.gif
She is hatching on day 20! DH checked and said there is another one pipped and 2 more already zipped with large pieces of shell missing. I know that Gracie always hatches on day 20 (or overnight day19 to 20) but didn't expect it from Rosie with the harsh cold and it being her first sit... I hope she is as good at being a mamma hen as she was a setting hen!

I have to travel tomorrow to pick up eggs for our 2 broody Silver Pencil Rocks, and found a 3rd SPR with her chest plucked setting in a box tonight after dark, so may have to split the eggs between 3 of them and supplement with barnyard mix eggs... hope to get some pics after I get back in the afternoon.

Guess whichever of these chicks stay here will have to get names like 'Cupid' and 'BabyCakes' since they are actually a Valentine's hatch (though it honestly wasn't planned that way)... I will have to Google 'Valentine's Day names'
clap.gif

Hi all:

Latest report....5000 power outages in Chester Co....fortunately not me....have about 12" so far....and its really coming down.......

Got home.  Put the Jeep in the Neighbor's pull off, then got out the lawn tractor / plow.  Replaced the pullet, rerouted the belt.  Mashed some snow.  Sheared a kotter pin for the blade.  Replaced with a nail, continued mashing snow.  Lost an axle cap for the blade spring retainer bar.  Bent up some bar stock, continued mashing snow.  Fuel line cracked and sprayed gas.  Replaced with some PVC tube I had lying around.  Finished mashing snow.

Went back to the jeep, find out that it had melted down, and high-centered itself in the snow bank.  Much swearing and tire spinning later, (Thank you snow tires!) I'm finally at the office.

Meanwhile, in the coop, the girls have spilled 2 out of the 3 waterers.  They refuse to come out, despite me having cleared and area, and a general lack of snow under the coop.  Ungrateful little stinkies.

Oh my gosh!!! Talk about turning around some incredibly hard circumstances!! . :hugs

My birds (reluctently) come out in the snow. I tramp it down if it is deep, but if they are hungry and thirsty, they come out. I will not put water in the Coop and I'm not shoveling snow off of dirt. They do have semi covered areas they can hang out in outside, but food and water is out in the open.

I have a question about quarantine that I just can't get out of my head. I understand the purpose of doing it but...wouldn't it be possible that the new chickens in quarantine could be carrying some disease that does not appear to be making them ill but once released in with the existing flock pass something on that could potentially kill my flock? I want to check out local auctions but you really never know what condition they may have been living in and so on.
Also, changing the topic. Does any here breed Columbian rock bantams? I have 3 roos that I would like to get some girls for. They are the cutest little things :)

I think the idea is that the move to a new place will stress them enough to bring on any underlying illnesses and show symptoms. I guess there's a chance that the illness could remain dormant during quarantine and surface when you integrate...but then there is always a risk.

@Sallysunshine, how did you manage to make that snow look enticing?!

@Stake: 'manually relocated'? Lol

@Chippysmom, hang in there!

@Wing! Sooooo cute! Glad they made it to you, hope it's 2 quads!! Yes, we made it to Virginia. No snow on the roads in DE and none anywhere here.

And WHO has snow up to their Yaya? BWAHAHAHAHA!

I have a question about quarantine that I just can't get out of my head. I understand the purpose of doing it but...wouldn't it be possible that the new chickens in quarantine could be carrying some disease that does not appear to be making them ill but once released in with the existing flock pass something on that could potentially kill my flock? I want to check out local auctions but you really never know what condition they may have been living in and so on.
Also, changing the topic. Does any here breed Columbian rock bantams? I have 3 roos that I would like to get some girls for. They are the cutest little things :)

I think the idea is that the move to a new place will stress them enough to bring on any underlying illnesses and show symptoms. I guess there's a chance that the illness could remain dormant during quarantine and surface when you integrate...but then there is always a risk.

@Sallysunshine, how did you manage to make that snow look enticing?!

@Stake: 'manually relocated'? Lol

@Chippysmom, hang in there!

@Wing! Sooooo cute! Glad they made it to you, hope it's 2 quads!! Yes, we made it to Virginia. No snow on the roads in DE and none anywhere here.

And WHO has snow up to their Yaya? BWAHAHAHAHA!

The stress SHOULD bring out any illnesses they have recently been exposed to, however, it will not likely bring out any they are carrying but resistant to. That is a chance you take every time you bring in new birds.

Back
Top Bottom