Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Does anyone follow an exact schedule for their chickens? As stupid as it sounds, I was informed by my neighbor that I am stupid for thinking a light outside the coop MIGHT be keeping predators away. Since the neighbor is an "expert" that has lost about fifteen birds so far this year to predators, I think I just might be right. Either way, I was further educated that I don't keep a strict enough schedule, and that my flock has been seen outside late at night when I am not home (seriously doubt it. I can't get my birds to move off the roost for anything once the sun starts to set!). For the two or three times I have come home late, I am being admonished. THEY have a schedule that is such a time on these days, such a time on these days, and another time on the weekends. The birds AND predators KNOW what day it is, and when the door will be open or shut, when they have to go to bed, and when they will be fed on that day.
    Bottom line, a neighbor said that they watch my comings and goings, when I do what, and how I do it, and they do not approve. I have spent the evening in the dark to throw them off.
    Someone please tell me I am doing a good job! [​IMG] Even if I am not.[​IMG]

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

3. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    You are doing a good job. *** to your neighbor. Its none of there beeswax. Sounds like the amount of time they have spent watching you, and your chickens, you could call them a stalker!

4. bruceh

bruceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    hanover pa
    is your " expert" kidding you. i have never seen a chicken out partying late at night. the chickens go to roost at sunset. being if it is the coop , pen or a tree they are early to bed early to rise creatures. also if they are out running around they find plenty of food. look if you mis the feeding time by an hour or 2 so what no big deal. however with that said make sure they have water. the day i see a chicken wearing a watch is the day i will buy one.
    is your flock healthy? if yes then that is all you need to do.
    the lighting well i never keep one on at night. thats is just me. people keep lights on to keep the birds egg production up.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  5. honeyb

honeyb Out Of The Brooder

i like roo 2,

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  6. honeyb

honeyb Out Of The Brooder

thank you for insulation info, does straw hold more heat then wood shavings? i have 8 chickens, 4 barred rocks and 4 ameruacanas. our coop is 8 x 8 and have trees and a small pond around it.

7. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Sounds like you neighbor needs to get a life....

You are doing a fine job!! These are YOUR chickens.

8. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    What do their crowns look like? Any wattles yet? I have been fooled so many times by silkies. Give them a few more weeks and see if someone crows.

9. bruceh

bruceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    hanover pa
    i will call her and ask

10. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    Don't know about holding more heat, it's just free for me, we grow wheat so the barn is always full of straw, hubby puts up a corner of the barn in straw before he sells the rest.....I do need to go in with a pitchfork every so often and keep it turned, wet straw really stinks, but as long as I do not let any wet spots sit it has no smell...(I sometimes cheat and throw scratch on top the straw, the birds then turn it for me )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by