Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Howdy All! I just saw this thread, and thought I'd pipe up. I'm in Erie, and new to raising chickens. My coop is 75% finished and a friend of mine has 5 hens and a rooster (buff orpingtons I believe) for me to start my flock once I've (well, mostly it's DH doing the hard labor) finished it. I'm excited to finally be "doing this" ---- raising chickens and having a mini farm on our .6 acre.

PBA:

Howdy from Chester Co....build a big coop cause there's lots of great chicks available!!!

Fantastic!!
clap.gif
...I would say ,yes, probably a different girl..all my girls have different eggs..and all but one are wyandottes.
I am sooo excited I could scream lol!! I did scream yesterday when we found the first egg... my poor neighbors
wee.gif
!!

The husband is interested in having me hatch a group of meat birds for him. Well, not me personally, but in the incubator. HAHA.

Anyway, who does the meat bird thing and what do you recommend we get? And if you have hatching eggs of that breed, let me know.

We are thinking into expanding into meat birds (chickens) and Muscovy's.

Ok, I think I know what pipping and zipping are, but I want to be sure. Could someone hand me the BYC dictionary?
gig.gif
..takes forever right?! Don't ask me how many times i sat here thinking.."what the heck is a 'snod' or ccls ?"..hahahaha...
I am sooo excited I could scream lol!! I did scream yesterday when we found the first egg... my poor neighbors
wee.gif
!!
shhh...don't let them know just yet, cause you have to get your fork full first! hahaha, *remember-you are the doing the work for those eggs and the $$....
wink.png
...i am sure your son would like the first scramble!!

Go ahead & pull the rowdy chicks out. Just mist the inside of the lid of the bator with hot water or toss a hot was cloth or sponge in to boost humidity back up. Scovies take longer than other ducks in hatching usually too. They will pip & then sit there looking like they are doing nothing for a day or 2, then all of a sudden they are zipped & out in just a few hours. Give them a full 2 days after external pip to let them start zipping before you think about helping.

Good idea! Here are the rowdies:

Lisa...here is a pic of my potatoes ...just got it!

okay, you really can't see the chicken wire, but it is there. There are at least 5 layers of potatoes in there...i forgot exactly how many..hahaha, if i were to add any more dirt it would be to the top, because there wasn't much of a layer of dirt to begin with.

Lisa...here is a pic of my potatoes ...just got it!

okay, you really can't see the chicken wire, but it is there. There are at least 5 layers of potatoes in there...i forgot exactly how many..hahaha, if i were to add any more dirt it would be to the top, because there wasn't much of a layer of dirt to begin with.

you have a lot more green all thru the pile.................outside and inside..what do you mean layers............you planted five layers initially? is that what you mean?

I will take a picture of mine soon! bottom line is that I think we just ride it out and its all good!

you have a lot more green all thru the pile.................outside and inside..what do you mean layers............you planted five layers initially? is that what you mean?

I will take a picture of mine soon! bottom line is that I think we just ride it out and its all good!
sounds like a good plan to me!!
What i mean by layers is..i put a layer of potato quarters at the bottom of the tower, then some soil, then newspaper(no shiny stuff)..then soil, potatoes, dirt, paper..you get the picture..till you end with dirt on the top. When i put the potatoes in, i put them in a circular pattern, starting along the outside perimeter. I hope this explanation makes sense.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom