Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

:thumbsup ..this is what we would LOVE to do...but it takes $$ to get started, of which I am in short supply..:rolleyes: ..so, the idea is there, whenever the wallet catches up.
Good luck, please keep posted on your progress! Nothing like learning from others;)

lol, will do though we're rather broke ourselves living paycheck to paycheck. So we're moving VERY slowly through this process and I'm guessing it'll take a few years to pull it together.
By working some calculations, I figure I usr about about 16 kWh, a day average looking at electric bill).

Assuming for hours of uswatts/ panel ==able sunlight a day, I need to generate 4k watts/ hour. @ 100watts/ panel, that's 40 panels @$100 each ( minimum). Figure in about 20 batteries for storage, then increase everything for extra storage for days with no sun.
The economics aren't there, but I still have a goal to work toward.

Looked at the small wind generators, and most don't do much of anything but look pretty. Really not enough wind here to do much. Need 12-20 mph wind to really generate much. If you do wind, however, there is a thing called dump load to keep them from overspinning, this excess electricity is easily captured by a resistance load, I.e. a water heater element.

Yeah, I've been researching a lot. Part of why I want on much.

it gets SO windy here being at the top of the mountain. We're down in a little knoll with trees all around but we get wind advisories all the time and I think they'd be great here. Thanks for the info. We're still learning. We tend to jump into things while we're learning. The cost of this stuff is holding us back though lol.

Does the group need a few of these?

umm, yeah! I'll take 2 in small please
cool.png

Is it a bad thing that I am just now making coffee?
yes..what is wrong with you?@!#@! ..wait..the list is umm..long..
smack.gif
...hahahha, okay..hiding now, cause I KNOW this will not go unanswered..
hide.gif
smack.gif

Katherine was here @ 9am..hahaha...
th.gif
..don't know what I'd do without the black liquid gold....

lol, will do though we're rather broke ourselves living paycheck to paycheck. So we're moving VERY slowly through this process and I'm guessing it'll take a few years to pull it together.

it gets SO windy here being at the top of the mountain. We're down in a little knoll with trees all around but we get wind advisories all the time and I think they'd be great here. Thanks for the info. We're still learning. We tend to jump into things while we're learning. The cost of this stuff is holding us back though lol.
that is okay..I have no-plans on going anywhere...soon...
pop.gif
....let the wait begin....

Recovered? Um not really. Cold relapsed on me and I spent Friday and Saturday on the couch. Didn't even go to church today and that is very unusual for me. I am feeling better or the meds have kicked in. This is a wicked nasty cold.

I've got my ad up here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/942236/chicks-in-south-east-pennsylvania

What are you looking for ? The main "show quality" breeds I have are New Hampshires and BBS Ameracaunas. But I know people (relatives mostly) with a lot of other breeds of show quality birds and most are VERY interested in helping 4-H'ers (all of us country bumpkins in my family grew up in 4-H and FFA).

If you are wanting to show in the fall, you should be looking to but chicks very soon, to get them large enough to show well.

What part of PA are you located in?

were in Northeast PA near Bloomsburg. My girls have shown at the local fair for the past 2 years now, they want to branch out and go to other PA shows as well.

Last edited:
were in Northeast PA near Bloomsburg. My girls have shown at the local fair for the past 2 years now, they want to branch out and go to other PA shows as well.
Do they know what breed they want to raise and show this year? I'd start with a list of "favorites" and ask people here for recommendations.

Auro:

You might want to check out a company named "Houze"...they are from Houstin TX and are selling an ergonomic/efficient house based on a natural gas fired generator...the generator runs 24x7...and the cooling system is used for hot water and heating....excess electricity is sold back to the power co...my read is that these houses might not be up to snuff for cold weather and a problem in PA (PECO) is that most of you bill is not electricity but services fees to keep the lines serviced...(and paying for 3mi Island).....my two cents....

[quote
Is it a bad thing that I am just now making coffee?

yes..what is wrong with you?@!#@! ..wait..the list is umm..long..:smack ...hahahha, okay..hiding now, cause I KNOW this will not go unanswered..:oops: ...:smack
Katherine was here @ 9am..hahaha...:th ..don't know what I'd do without the black liquid gold....

Ahem! You know darn well I was up past three, and was in dire need of a shower this morning (I was such a dirty little girl lastnight! ;-D). I had only been out of bed for about twenty minutes at that point.
There is something to be said about being completely alone - no husband or animals- and not having a single reason to get up in the morning! Having no tv or Internet stinks, but is just another reason to sleep! Better to sleep than do housework!!

Back
Top Bottom