Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    There you are!! WELCOME!! I WISH you were close I LOVE THAT ROOOOO

2. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    When I found out about the swap in Clearfield back in May, I saw there were people from my area of PA. When I am on other threads, I see there are ppl from this area. I come here, and ONE person is anywhere near me! And an hour at that. Mama2My4, move closer to me!

3. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

where are you located Chicky Dee ? I've got some nice Black Cochins,,, no need to hatch,,, nice birds ! This years youngersters, unrelated,,, they'll make you more of the same

4. silver1313

silver1313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Gettysburg, PA
    See this is why I am waiting til spring to visit ray lol

5. Ray from PA

Chad.... not the easiest time of the year to get a broody hen,,,, perhaps you should let 6 eggs in a nest to tempt one of them into sitting on them,,,, worked for my Cochin hen.

and if you're getting that many eggs, maybe you need to run your extras to one of the auctions,,,, the one on route 61 sometimes bring $2 to $2.50 a dozen for brown,,, they start the auction at 6:30 every Saturday evening,,,, could help buy your feed. Eggs keep in the fridge a long time,,, could probably run them up every other Saturday,,,, just drop them off and leave,,, no need to stick around and buy more chickens....LOL

Sally,,,, I must have missed your sexing chicks question,,, can only guess you're wondering about those Comet and BCM crosses,,,, not sure if the spots on the head help determine sex since they are crosses. I did notice in your pics that the black ones have less yellow than most of the purebreds I have had hatched here,,,, so there are differences in the crosses.

Sorry I can't help more with that.

And I think there's a chance your GLW is a hen,,,, doesn't have the neck feathering a roo would have at that age.

Your Partridge Brahmas have great color,,,, wonder if I could get that on Cochins ??? I have a blue hen, a partridge hen, and a black roo that is displaying some partridge coloring,,, HMMM !
    may have to mix them up a bit after studying that color genetics you listed.

6. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    I tried the egg thing. Left them stay in the nest for a few days and you know what I had? 18 eggs laying in the nest...[​IMG]

I'm expanding pens. Going Higher and longer. And coming soon a bantam only pen.

I'm kinda afraid to come down. It's not far and fred's kids are looking pretty nice. [​IMG]

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    it is interesting if not horid to understand and remember it all! I am researching genetics and brahma ingeneral and I am finding a major link between the cochin and brahma so I was thinking the same thing u are!!!! What do we have to loose.... people love that new stuff!! I think we can try a project with these brahma I got, but I sure need help understanding it all! I am trying to gather as much info as possible on the breed itself and see how others are doing with their studies... I will post it in an article and figure out a breeding plan.... great thing is that I also have the light, buffs and darks as well... so I will more than likely be on lookout for a roo, just not sure which way to go on that yet!! lol

8. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Sally It will be interesting to see how those chicks develop. The comets are said to be excellent performers as far as egg production. And the BCm is just dead sexy! So we will see if they make a sexy super egg producer that lasts longer than 2 yrs. [​IMG]

I am serious about eggs. It took them forever or what seemed like forever for eggs and now they are producing. Some are laying a nice darker brown egg. To see what that bunch lay sparks my interest.

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I wonder if I need a HOT Roo to make my dumb girls start to lay!!! My SLW is a pussy cause I spoil him lol

edited to add.... no that wasnt meant that I need a roo for eggs [​IMG]
    also edited to add...... Hens GOT that right!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  10. Ray from PA

If I were in you shoes and had the hens,,,, I'd do my best to get that Pittsburgh Roo,,,, looks like blue partridge to the same makes more of them...

I think I would have to locate some splash,,, I have a dark roo that dispalys some partridge leakage,,, think he may be useful in this,,, and he HUGE,,,, locating LF splash might be diffucult. Definitely considering giving him all the off color hens,,, the white, silver laced, partridge and the blue,,,, sooner or later I should be able to make my own splash..... LOL
    Cochin breeders usually try to keep their colors true,,, can't say I've seen splash available at any time or just didn't take note of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by