Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    I have one splash hen. I also have 4 blue hens, and a blue rooster. I will have some blue and splash next year. I am very excited about these. I am loving the LF Cochins!

2. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

Fred still has 6 hens,,, but he will lose a couple to the up and coming Roo out in the run as soon as I get another run completed.

He gets to keep the black hens that he produces well with...

off to bed here,,,, everyone have a good rest of the weekend.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

5. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Well, I am not really sure. I don't know anything really about the partridge color, and how the gene works. What I will say is the pattern is penciling right? You normally need 2 copies to have a complete pattern show up on the bird. The pattern is just that, the pattern, so the main color of the chicken is what is changing? or is it the color of the pattern? So it would be the red mahogany color, with the blue penciling instead of black?

6. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    You guys might also want to use a self-blue (Lavender) colored bird to this. Blues and splashes carry pattern genes (lacing) that will conflict with the penciling. You won't know for sure until you would breed the F1's together to see what would happen, IMO. By rights you should start to see penciled birds. The F2 generation is where the fun starts. You will have to breed a ton of birds, and you will get only a couple of what you want. You should keep a son, and breed it back to the mom........................... So many possibilities :- )

7. Chicky Dee

Chicky Dee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the offer Ray. I am located in 17801, but my husband works in pottsville and my sister lives close to York... HAHA I have been checking out every ones location in case of future get togethers. I have 1 black cochin and 2 blue cochin/americana crosses. I got them from a neighbor. I have speckled sussex and in November I have buff brahma eggs coming for my bator. I think it would be cool to have speckled brahmas. That would be an awesome designer breed. I really need to work on a second pen. That way if I did want to breed specific birds together I have a place for them. Right now everyone hangs together. My rooster is a good boy and I don't want to get rid of him, but he is a mutt. I read on here that some people let their birds run together in the winter and then separate them in the spring for breeding. How do you guys handle this and if you separate them in the spring what is the timing to get pure eggs?

8. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    RoPo has my two new sikie hens in her hands and is bringing them back from Ohio today. My new roo comes next Sunday. That will complete my quad for starting my calico pen. I am super excited!!

Sally is taking Tink (splash silkie hen) which means I have one more splash hen available.

9. angelchix

angelchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Karns City, PA
    Ok, question, HOW does lacing conflict with penciling? And what if you throw in columbian restrictions? I recently did a cross of a Partride with a light columbian hen (brahmas) and as expected, the offspring were sex linked. Doing so much research only got me a litttle more info. The chicken calculator was the most helpful but didnt explain the whys.
    See the new color I am working on, accoring to the chicken calculator this color for the roos is a yellow transverse penciling and the hens are called golden transverse penciling, of course with both having the columbian restrictions of lacing at the neck, tail, and wing tips.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. angelchix

angelchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Karns City, PA
    A good book to get on genetics would be the chicken color genetics book I mentione previously. When I did reserach I found out the book was written by a fellow named Jerry who introduced the US to the serama breed. But the book is. . . . .like $100 if I remember correctly, so I am waiting around until my bday and use that $ on gettting myself a copy of that book. (now, not to mention I want a whole flock of seramas to add to my collection after the research)

To check out that genetics of colour book again, here is the site. It downloads and you can only view the download once and then it disapears.
    www.chickencolours.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by