Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    For example, Salmonella is transferred from the hen to the egg by the ovary, long before the shell is even formed around the egg. Then there's the possibility that the Salmonella bacterium could be on the outside of the egg and poor hand washing techniques cause the salmonella to get transferred into the food.

Source: http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2010/08/24/why-theres-salmonella-in-your-eggs/

Page 4 of 12, first sentence: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/rdad/FRPubs/04-034N/Hazard_Identification.pdf

Better to be safe than sorry in this. This is how Salmonella continues in flocks. Otherwise it wouldn't pass from the hen to the chick.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ

Aww. So cute. Congrats!

3. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Oh how sweet!!!

4. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    good im not that crazy then, if it is true that would be totally awsome

5. nothingbutbirds

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    aww how cute

6. msladyhawke

msladyhawke Poultry Connoisseur

Perfect size for DS to carry! He (DS) looks like he likes it a lot, lol! Very cute.

7. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

Chicky Dee! LOVE your babies! Especially the one in the last pic holding the chicken!

We have only done Showmanship through 4H at local county fairs so far. Farm Show may be a whole new ball park for us. Mostly it's studying your SOP, and knowing the breed you're handling top to bottom. Meet the judges eye and answer his questions. Control your bird and know how to point out all the characteristics of its breed. We u-tubed Poultry Showmanship and saw many interesting and informative bits. Our local fairs were not nearly so in depth, maybe the farm show will be.

8. nothingbutbirds

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    anyone have chicks from 1day-3days that u would sell

9. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe they are referring more to salmonella contamination externally, like from manure deposited on the outside of the eggshell,,,, saying that the shell pores are smaller, harder for bacteria to penetrate the shell and makes it more resiliant than some other eggs that may have larger pores

Not saying by any means that it's 100 % guarantee.

Just what some articles on the web state
    Not about internal salmonella contamination from internal sources.

10. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

Blarney.... is that a new doe you added to keep the first one company ?

Hope she is more adjusted to her new home,,,, and you to having her/them around !

Are they still escape artists ?

How about posting some Marans photos,,, would love to see what you've got and how they compare to what I've found.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by