Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

anyone have chicks from 1day-3days that u would sell

Oh boy, feel so bad for you! My favorite hen is broody again right now. (Popcorn) Sitting on nothing but air. (I know...not supposed to have favorites, just can't help myself). Even went so far as to tell DD#1 that 'Popcorn' had replaced her as executrix. Hee hee, just LOVE messin with that one's head. anyway...I can not have anymore chicks to feed and water. I just can't! I'm going to have to break her.

Nothin, how's your hen holding up after 6 weeks? Her comb getting pale? I had one broody WAY too long, I was told to give her Canned Salmon, Tuna was all I had in the canned fish dept, seemed to work ok.

Hiya Ray! Yes, this little doe is from some excellent lines and is keeping Lily company. No more jailbreaks (yet), and I am in heaven with them. Such sweet, beautiful creatures.

I'll see if I can find a Marans pictures.

Here is our Alpha Marans 'Tom'. I don't know how he'll measure up at the show, I'm VERY nervous about it, but have gotten lots of support from BYCers attending, and what the heck? We'll never know if we don't show. The Marans are actually my son's (the one with the goat ~thank you for everyone's wonderful comments, BTW just makes you all warm in fuzzy inside to read the sweet comments).

Here is our Alpha Marans 'Tom'. I don't know how he'll measure up at the show, I'm VERY nervous about it, but have gotten lots of support from BYCers attending, and what the heck? We'll never know if we don't show. The Marans are actually my son's (the one with the goat ~thank you for everyone's wonderful comments, BTW just makes you all warm in fuzzy inside to read the sweet comments).

Oh how handsome!!

Hi everyone. New to this site and new to chickens. I am about an hour north of Pittsburgh. I am looking for breeders of black copper marans, easter eggers, and Ameruacanas (spelled wrong, sorry...on my phone) I would love to buy chicks (or started pullots) from someone local if possible. Otherwise I will have to go with a hatchery.
I want them in the spring and am just excited to look for them now haha.
I want a nice colorful assortment of eggs. I am hooked on chickens!!!

I have Ameraucanas but I am far away :- ( and WELCOME!!! FYI, most hatcheries don't have pure bred Ameraucanas! Buy from a breeder, better chickens, and better personalities.

[COLOR=FF0000]I believe they are referring more to salmonella contamination externally, like from manure deposited on the outside of the eggshell,,,, saying that the shell pores are smaller, harder for bacteria to penetrate the shell and makes it more resiliant than some other eggs that may have larger pores[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]Not saying by any means that it's 100 % guarantee.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]Just what some articles on the web state[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]Not about internal salmonella contamination from internal sources.[/COLOR]

I'm sure many people understand that already but the way several websites have it written could lead the reader to think that the eggs are completely free of Salmonella.

It still won't stop me from eating raw cookie dough or brownie batter though!!

Blarney, they did die of Laryngotracheitis. You are supposed to vaccinate your birds 30 days before the show, up to 90 days prior. It is an eye drop. The problem is some people were showing there birds that vaccine 10 days prior to the show. They were shedding the virus. Some of the vaccines are nasal drops, but they don't work as good. I don't think I can do it. Unless I sell the chicken and not bring it home!!!
Welcome Wolfsnap! I have BC Marans, but am not near you, hopefully someone closer chimes in. You certainly are giving enough notice.
Heather, I hear ya on the farm show. I'm hesitant to take my birds for show as they have to be there sooooo long. When you say 'people have lost every bird', I'm thinking you mean they got sick, not stolen, right? Apparently there was some kind of crack down last year, and two different breeders were sent away at the door as their birds had obvious Corzya (sp?). I couldn't figure out why there were so few birds and one of the men there that waters and feeds the birds told me more than 100 birds were denied entry. I do think my kids will participate in Showmanship as the birds don't have to stay the whole week (so I've been told, need to check for sure).

Oh boy, feel so bad for you! My favorite hen is broody again right now. (Popcorn) Sitting on nothing but air. (I know...not supposed to have favorites, just can't help myself). Even went so far as to tell DD#1 that 'Popcorn' had replaced her as executrix. Hee hee, just LOVE messin with that one's head. anyway...I can not have anymore chicks to feed and water. I just can't! I'm going to have to break her.
Nothin, how's your hen holding up after 6 weeks? Her comb getting pale? I had one broody WAY too long, I was told to give her Canned Salmon, Tuna was all I had in the canned fish dept, seemed to work ok.
Hiya Ray! Yes, this little doe is from some excellent lines and is keeping Lily company. No more jailbreaks (yet), and I am in heaven with them. Such sweet, beautiful creatures.
I'll see if I can find a Marans pictures.

i have three that are broodies silkies and one d'uccle the one that had the quails is off now and one of the silkies is loseing interest now just to get the other one to lose interest both the silkie and the d'uccle have been going at this for at least six weeks the d'uccle has gone broodie 4 times this spring/summer she quit on the second one so i stuck them in the bator and now have 5 healthy little babies from her and 8 guineas

X2, I totally agree. I feel like it should be a weekend show. You can still keep the public educated without the birds getting abused and sick!
I refuse to go to the Farm Show. I see no need to have birds there for an entire week, on a feed they are not used to and drinking water they are not used to. That, coupled with the fact that it is in the WORST part of winter and you KNOW little kids are gonna be poking their fingers through the cages at the already stressed birds...

Just not a good combo. If it was a weekend, I'd be all over it, but I don't think I will ever put my birds through that. After 2 or 3 days at a show, the birds are exhausted. You can see it in their eyes and in their movements. They are "done" at the end of a weekend show.

[COLOR=0000FF]Here is our Alpha Marans 'Tom'.  I don't know how he'll measure up at the show, I'm VERY nervous about it, but have gotten lots of support from BYCers attending, and what the heck?  We'll never know if we don't show.  The Marans are actually my son's  (the one with the goat ~thank you for everyone's wonderful comments, BTW just makes you all warm in fuzzy inside to read the sweet comments).[/COLOR]

hes stunning, i didnt know that marans were feather legged dont know how i missed that when i was looking at photos of them

Sally, I am in the same boat as you with my chickens! They are the same age and no eggs and my roosters have stopped crowing too!! I don't have a light in mine though so I was ok with no eggs til probably spring but now that you said all the trouble you are having I realized I'm in the same boat!! Grrrr if you get any good advice or ideas from anyone please pass them on!

Back
Top Bottom