Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

Oh boy, feel so bad for you! My favorite hen is broody again right now. (Popcorn) Sitting on nothing but air. (I know...not supposed to have favorites, just can't help myself). Even went so far as to tell DD#1 that 'Popcorn' had replaced her as executrix. Hee hee, just LOVE messin with that one's head. anyway...I can not have anymore chicks to feed and water. I just can't! I'm going to have to break her.

Nothin, how's your hen holding up after 6 weeks? Her comb getting pale? I had one broody WAY too long, I was told to give her Canned Salmon, Tuna was all I had in the canned fish dept, seemed to work ok.

Hiya Ray! Yes, this little doe is from some excellent lines and is keeping Lily company. No more jailbreaks (yet), and I am in heaven with them. Such sweet, beautiful creatures.

I'll see if I can find a Marans pictures.

2. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is our Alpha Marans 'Tom'. I don't know how he'll measure up at the show, I'm VERY nervous about it, but have gotten lots of support from BYCers attending, and what the heck? We'll never know if we don't show. The Marans are actually my son's (the one with the goat ~thank you for everyone's wonderful comments, BTW just makes you all warm in fuzzy inside to read the sweet comments).

3. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Oh how handsome!!

4. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    I have Ameraucanas but I am far away :- ( and WELCOME!!! FYI, most hatcheries don't have pure bred Ameraucanas! Buy from a breeder, better chickens, and better personalities.

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK

I'm sure many people understand that already but the way several websites have it written could lead the reader to think that the eggs are completely free of Salmonella.

It still won't stop me from eating raw cookie dough or brownie batter though!!

6. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Blarney, they did die of Laryngotracheitis. You are supposed to vaccinate your birds 30 days before the show, up to 90 days prior. It is an eye drop. The problem is some people were showing there birds that vaccine 10 days prior to the show. They were shedding the virus. Some of the vaccines are nasal drops, but they don't work as good. I don't think I can do it. Unless I sell the chicken and not bring it home!!!

7. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    i have three that are broodies silkies and one d'uccle the one that had the quails is off now and one of the silkies is loseing interest now just to get the other one to lose interest both the silkie and the d'uccle have been going at this for at least six weeks the d'uccle has gone broodie 4 times this spring/summer she quit on the second one so i stuck them in the bator and now have 5 healthy little babies from her and 8 guineas

8. heatherscooby77

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    X2, I totally agree. I feel like it should be a weekend show. You can still keep the public educated without the birds getting abused and sick!

9. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    hes stunning, i didnt know that marans were feather legged dont know how i missed that when i was looking at photos of them

10. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa
    Sally, I am in the same boat as you with my chickens! They are the same age and no eggs and my roosters have stopped crowing too!! I don't have a light in mine though so I was ok with no eggs til probably spring but now that you said all the trouble you are having I realized I'm in the same boat!! Grrrr if you get any good advice or ideas from anyone please pass them on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by