Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Haven't been on all summer but need some help. I would like to change to sand in my coop. If I remember right there are a few of you that use sand. What I would like to know is what kind of sand. I used all purpose/construction sand in the tire I have for them in the run, but I bought that by the bag at Lowes and Agway. I need too much to buy it that way. I live in Carlisle and I called the quarries around here and they send they have concrete sand. Is that the same if not what do you use. One woman said they have a fine sand but I didn't think that was what I wanted. She never heard of construction sand. They all had concrete sand.

Hello Pennsylvania! New here to BYC, but super excited to start being a chicken owner! My family and I are in Lancaster, Pa. We hope to start raising chicken in the next year, just trying to prepare ourselves!
Welcome from the Poconos! Suggestion, build your coop bigger than you think, chicken math catches up with everyone!

I've read and heard great things about Austrolorps, Orpingtons, and Plymouth Rocks. I am hoping to get an Orpington rooster. I am also planning to keep the flock around 10 in total give or take when it's harvesting time. In hopes also to keep around 3-4 good laying hens. And keeping the rooster as long as he will stick around. I was thinking about an 8'x8' coop depending on ordinances, and fencing in our backyard. Do you think that will be enough space during our cold winters? Not too sure on how to heat the coop yet. And do I have to trim the Spurs? Or is this just his and everyone else's best interest. Also is there a good post on how to successfully raise your dual purpose chicken? Like how often to incubate or when it's time to harvest? Thanks in advance!:D

I've read and heard great things about Austrolorps, Orpingtons, and Plymouth Rocks. I am hoping to get an Orpington rooster. I am also planning to keep the flock around 10 in total give or take when it's harvesting time. In hopes also to keep around 3-4 good laying hens. And keeping the rooster as long as he will stick around. I was thinking about an 8'x8' coop depending on ordinances, and fencing in our backyard. Do you think that will be enough space during our cold winters? Not too sure on how to heat the coop yet. And do I have to trim the Spurs? Or is this just his and everyone else's best interest. Also is there a good post on how to successfully raise your dual purpose chicken? Like how often to incubate or when it's time to harvest? Thanks in advance!
big_smile.png
Don't heat the coop. Too many fires are caused by heating of chicken coops. If you loose power (like during a snow storm) your chickens will not be able to adjust to the cold. Chickens do great without a heated coop.

Don't heat the coop. Too many fires are caused by heating of chicken coops. If you loose power (like during a snow storm) your chickens will not be able to adjust to the cold. Chickens do great without a heated coop.
Agree, VENTILATION is key, if you think you have enough add more ventilation! It keeps them from getting frostbite, sometimes the heat lamps cause way too much moisture and add that to cold you get frostbitten toes and combs.

Little bitties like Serama or some frizzled types DO need heat in PA. But again VENTILATION is key!

ALSO MAKE SURE you lay your 2x4 on its side for the roost pole, it helps them keep their tootsies covered and prevent frostbite as well! Adding some indoor outdoor carpet to the roost also is nice because its easy to brush the poo off and clean! Also heavy breeds cannot fly high and should NOT and like our brahma WILL NOT jump high onto a roost or into a nest box, so keep this in mind when designing your coop! Start with planning your chickens, and coop design!

I've read and heard great things about Austrolorps, Orpingtons, and Plymouth Rocks. I am hoping to get an Orpington rooster. I am also planning to keep the flock around 10 in total give or take when it's harvesting time. In hopes also to keep around 3-4 good laying hens. And keeping the rooster as long as he will stick around. I was thinking about an 8'x8' coop depending on ordinances, and fencing in our backyard. Do you think that will be enough space during our cold winters? Not too sure on how to heat the coop yet. And do I have to trim the Spurs? Or is this just his and everyone else's best interest. Also is there a good post on how to successfully raise your dual purpose chicken? Like how often to incubate or when it's time to harvest? Thanks in advance!
big_smile.png
Trimming spurs is NOT a big deal, some use potatoes and I take the easy route, I just use the dog clippers and kwickstop because I have little kids JUST
IN CASE a rooster looks at them differently. beak trimming is easy too, but its best to let them do the scraping on a rock or cement block in the run to keep it short.

There are so many things you will learn on your chicken journey!

When you first get your chickens, keep them locked up for about a week. That way they will know where their home is and they will come back before dark. Will you have a run attached to your coop?

Haven't been on all summer but need some help. I would like to change to sand in my coop. If I remember right there are a few of you that use sand. What I would like to know is what kind of sand. I used all purpose/construction sand in the tire I have for them in the run, but I bought that by the bag at Lowes and Agway. I need too much to buy it that way. I live in Carlisle and I called the quarries around here and they send they have concrete sand. Is that the same if not what do you use. One woman said they have a fine sand but I didn't think that was what I wanted. She never heard of construction sand. They all had concrete sand.

Maybe tell them you liked to come get a sample of the concrete sand before you order a truckload. I bet it will be perfect. I can't think of much the do with sand in the construction industry with sand that does not involve it being part of a concrete mix. I don't think people need to nearly as fussy about the type of sand they get as they tend to be. I got a load of "beach sand" and have had no issues with foot problems in the 2 years our peafowl have been using it.

I suppose if the sand was superfine it could be airborne more easily (and all blow away). If it was so sharp that I felt like it scratched my hand holding it, like ground glass, I would prob not use that either. If it felt like ordinary sand, then get it.

When you first get your chickens, keep them locked up for about a week. That way they will know where their home is and they will come back before dark. Will you have a run attached to your coop?

Or raise them from chicks and get them used to following you for food where ever you go. Cute and effective.

Back
Top Bottom